Logo

Circuit Breaker for Model 220305 CID

"I have experienced engine cut

"I have experienced engine cutout, after several RPM drop offs, and I suspected the culprit may be the circuit breaker. I am not sure, but the left engine would run at high speed (3200 rpm) for a while and then the rpm would suddenly drop, rise back to the set rpm and then shortly after it would begin to drop and cut the engine off. After a short time I could restart the engine and it would run for a short while then it would stop again. Then I ran both engines, on the way back at 1500 rpm, until the left cut out again, and after it I could not restart the engine anymore. Do I have a problem with this circuit breaker or something else.
Please let me know.
Thanks,
Gene"

Gene:

i'd suspect a fue

Gene:

i'd suspect a fuel issue based on your description.

independent or shared fuel tanks?

you can test the circuit breaker with a test light while running.

do the gauges on the port half of the instrument panel read steady (except for the tach) when the engine dies?

"I pulled hair out for months

"I pulled hair out for months chasing what wound up being an intermittent open circuit, (a broken wire, just barely making connection, most of the time) at the factory crimped connector, in a distributor.

Always restarted after 5 seconds - 5 minutes, and acted like a fuel or ing. coil problem. but never like shutting the key off once up to planing speed.

Fred 156-M"

"If the issue was the circuit

"If the issue was the circuit breaker, the dash voltmeter should show deflection toward the left side."

"I'm having a similar prob

"I'm having a similar problem. The main circuit breaker repeatedly was popping. The faster I go, the faster it pops. After waiting, I can reset it. The breaker had some corrosion on the leads so I replaced it yesterday. The Cobalt dealer didn't know what the amperage is, I can't find it in my shop manual or owners manual, Cobalt doesn't reply to emails, and it doesn't appear on the breaker. We guessed at 20 amps. After installing it, it has run great for 2 hours. I'm seeing some references to 15 amp fuses in comments about similar boats. Does anyone know what amperage goes with these Mercruiser based dash setups? I don't want to overload the system by having too large a breaker. I have an 1987 Cobalt 17BR with 4.3L V6."

"Dave,
Sounds like you mean t

"Dave,
Sounds like you mean the breaker on the engine - I'm referring to the breakers linked to the ignition switch and gauges."

"if you're talking about t

"if you're talking about the breaker for the battery lead to the ignition switch, 15A is a good value alowwing for some 'growth'.

A good rule of thumb for what is needed is 1A for each instumment and 5A for the slave solenoid.

You can always measure what it is drawing and select the breaker that way."

Back