Logo

HELP JUST IN TIME HELP

colriverrat

Contributing Member
"You have read my recent posts

"You have read my recent posts about my '80 DT65.I cannot get the motor to idle below 1200rpm in gear. I now have a completely new fuel system. I went through the carbs twice and I'm sure they are flowing gas.

I still have no piolt adjustment on the lower carb, I can turn the screw way out or seat it and nothing happens to the idle speed. The top carb is real touchy, a 1/4 turn any direction will instantly change the idle speed.

I did not put in new floats when I went through the carbs. I put them both in gas and they do float. I was very carefull to get the float setting right. I have not done a carb balance yet. Could the balance be so far off it is causing the lower carb to act this way???

My motor runs, but drinks gas like its free, 2 galons in 3 miles. It runs perfect from 2500rpm to WOT but uses a bunch of fuel. WILL the motor run with bad reeds??? Should I junk the bottom carb and search e-bay for a replacement???

Here is my second problem, NOT fuel related. The factory manual says low RPM timing should be 3*ATDC @ 1000rpm. My motor dies if I try to get the timing below 10*BTDC. The top end is fine it is 25*BTDC @ 5000rpm. What would cause the timing to be so far off at low RPM??? Could the timing be the reason I'm burning so much fuel???

I have 135psi compression in both cylinders, The motor runs so strong a full throttle, I'm hooked on it and really really want to get it running right. Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help in advance"

I got the balance as close as

I got the balance as close as I can. This was REAL tricky. Just touching the linkage kept knocking them out of balance.

Still no pilot adjustment on the bottom carb. I can seat the screw and turn it out till it falls out and not a single rpm change. Think I should start looking for a lower carb.

I called a couple local boat shops and was told the motor probably would not run at all with a stuck or broken/bent reed.

I've gone through the carb

I've gone through the carbs twice. The second time I was very very very meticulous about blowing the carbs out with compressed air.

"Yea I did the balance. I thou

"Yea I did the balance. I thought I may have found the problem. I popped the inlet cover off to inspect the reeds. The bottom portion of the inlet gasket was not in good condition, it just kind of crumbled away. The reeds are perfect

I replaced the gaskets, but now I can't even get to motor to start. I synced the carbs with the bad gasket, so they are probably way off right now. I'll fiddle with the sync again to get the motor to idle. then sync them again.

I'll post again if this still does not fix the problem."

"It is toast. It simply will n

"It is toast. It simply will not start and keep running. I'm tired of throwing money at it. Might have blown head gasket, crank seal, cracked block, bad timing sensor, bad coil??????? Any how, it over reved in neutral and now will not even start.Its junk.

The lower unit and prop are perfect, just resealed and fluid change."

Back