Logo

Hydraulic trim cylinder hoses

spes

"Hello,
My hydraulic trim cyl

"Hello,
My hydraulic trim cylinder hoses on my '86 Alpha One sterndrive need to be replaced. Is this a DIY project? They are rather crusty looking. One long and one short on each side. And I really want to thank the guy that decided to stamp the cylinder casting number on the inside of the cylinder!
Thanks,"

""Is this a DIY project?&#

""Is this a DIY project?"

Yes, if you are a contortionist and can keep your cool. Get the manual and follow the directions. Use a rope to pull thru w/both old and new hoses."

"<font color=""808080"">"U

"<font color=""808080"">"Use a rope to pull thru w/both old and new hoses." ???????
</font><font color=""000000"">I just need to replace the hoses outside on the cylinders themselves. Don't they attach right at the transom? But my guess is I do have to remove the cylinders to do it.
Thanks</font>"

"Ayuh,...

If you can break

"Ayuh,...

If you can break the fittings Loose,...
It's a piece a Cake job...

But,... That's Not usually the case..."

"Sorry I misunderstood your po

"Sorry I misunderstood your post.
rain.gif
"

"I did this, and as Bondo says

"I did this, and as Bondo says "If you can break the fittings loose" it is not so bad.Here is what I did.
1. Buy a can of PB Blaster
2.You need 3/8 compression wrenches. The real ones not the $1.00 ones.
3. a map gas canister (the home type that you sweat plumbing fittings with.)
4. Spray the fittings on the cylinders with the PB Blaster. Then heat the cylinder near the fitting threads, watch and see if the PB is being drawn into the the cylinder at the fitting cite. You will have to do this several times.
5. Try to rempve the fitting(after the cylinder has cooled down.)If it does not thread out go to step 4.
6. After several attempts if the hose is unable to be removed spray with PB blaster and wait for the next day.
7. Step 4 over again
8. do this and after several attempts the fittings will un screw.
An important note. Be cafeful at the junction box ,you do not want to do any damage here.
You need a lot of patience and you will remove them."

Back