Logo

2005 mercury 115hp carb two stroke stall problem

nz_morry

"Hi hope you can help? The pro

"Hi hope you can help? The problem has been with the outboard since new.The outboard starts ok from cold with choke but I do have to have the idle lever on the control box right up. Normal start from cold with choke and reduction in revs and idle ok when lever put back down after start.
On the water outboard appears to run normal at all revs while boat on plane and lower speed including idle. Its when the the outboard is turned off when fully warm then started again that the stalling occurs! I have to use the small throttle lever in the full up position to start and as soon as I reduce revs to idle and attempt to go into forward gear slowly,the outboard stalls. I have to sometimes repeat the start, up to five times and hold the revs above idle to stop the outboard stalling out! I asked the dealer way back and he told me to just adjust the idle a bit faster, which I did. It seemed to help a little, but the problem is still there. If anyone can shed light on this problem as to what might be wrong,and perhaps a cure, many thanks in advance!"

"hmmm, hot restart? usually a

"hmmm, hot restart? usually a sign of rich carburation. also what i have seen is someone lean drop the carbs with a busted open thermostat, if you do that, the motor will end up way too rich once it gets red hot on plane. next time you cut it the motor drowns in gasoline."

Do you have a tach to see wher

Do you have a tach to see where you sit at idle? And where it sits with fast idle arm fully up?

Back