Logo

1971 4hp single cylinder

camo521

"Is there a way to check to se

"Is there a way to check to see if a coil, points, stators are any good on this motor? I have them all off the motor and have a ohms meter, but don't know how to use the meter to test them. Could some one tell me how to run it to test these things? and maybe tell me where I can get parts for this motor if I need them, Thanks, Bob.
[email protected]"

"Bob, have a few test numbers

"Bob, have a few test numbers for ya -

The 71, 4 horse had a Thunderbolt 2 ignition (with points). My parts lists and my manual are giving me slightly different descriptions of the ignition on the 71 - it was a change-over year for the ignitions themself, but think I have the right one.

The Stator on this has both a low and high speed coil plus a capacitor (condenser) and is tested as a complete system.

Stator - red (+) to the green stator lead (which is actually the feed from the capacitor), black to ground - ohm scale rx1000 - no continuity

Reverse the leads - ohm scale - rx1000 - should read 20-50 (20,000-50,0000 ohms)

Coil, positive to positive (coil), negative to negative (coil) - total continuity (some minimal resistance is acceptable but no firm value) - basically want an un-interupted circuit.

Points - no test - recommended to be changed every 500 hours of run time - gap is .020"

This system works kinda backwards to alot of breaker systems. With this one the current flows to the plug when the points "close" releasing approx 1000 volts from the capacitor (which rectifies and stores the power produced by the ignition coils).

This can cause significant pitting/deterioration of the points. It is NOT an issue unless they degrade to the point where you can no longer clean them and set the correct gap.

Most parts are long discontinued for this model so you may have to check some place like www.oldmercs.com for what you are after should the need arise..."

"well i did as you told me, th

"well i did as you told me, the only thing is that my meter I have has RX1, RX10, RX100 only, which one do I use? Like I said I'm not an Electrician and don't know how to work one of these, lol. Thanks."

You can use the rx100 except n

You can use the rx100 except now that 20-50 reading would need to be between 200-500 on that scale

"Ok I did what you said, green

"Ok I did what you said, green to red(pos) & Black(neg) & I got a read of 2some thing on RX100 the reading is about 1/3 up the scale from the left in green. You said that I should get nothing, no reading but I did. Now that was the first stator that I tested, now the 2nd one I tested hooked up the same way green to red & black to ground I got a reading just up off the scale on the left side where there is only 2 #s up there 500 & 200 and it was on the 200 reading. Again red to green & Black to ground & I got a reading again. Could you plz tell me what's going on with this? I'd like to get it fixed befor spring."

Back