Logo

Aluminum boat bottom question

ruinz

I have a 19 foot aluminum boat

I have a 19 foot aluminum boat does anyone know how people get it polishied to a mirror like finish without affecting the sealer. My boat has rivets and seams if it matters. I have seen boats that are polished to a mirror like finish looks like a lot of work and theres probably lot of up keep to keep it that way. Anybody know?

"[b]"I have seen boats tha

""I have seen boats that are polished to a mirror like finish looks like a lot of work and theres probably lot of up keep to keep it that way. Anybody know?"

Ayuh,...

You've got it,... Polish it,.. Polish it,..and Polish it again...

They Don't stay that way...."

"Hi Chris, All alumnium used a

"Hi Chris, All alumnium used as an "end-product" has been electrolitically altered; meaning that an additional layer of aluminium has been added to the "raw" porous product, so as to create "a seal" against corrosion. Without this seal, the aluminium will turn black and corrode very quickly indeed.The process is called "anodising".The added layer varies from 15 - 35 microns.(possibly more for specific jobs).The ONLY way to preserve and keep the "shine" is CLEANING the aluminium using a very mild abrasive scouring pad and strong cleaning agent. Then wash properly. Polish does not help at all. Cleaning is the buzz-word here!."

"I got another suggestion for

"I got another suggestion for you, you can use what truck drivers use to make their aluminum wheels and fuel tanks look like chrome. you get you a stick of jewelers ruge there are three or four different colors of it, you want the white, then you break it up and put it in a jug, add mineral oil to it and shake it to disolve the ruge, it only takes a little to go a long way with this polish and it's not that hard a job. put a little on a clean rag and begin rubbing it in a circuler motion, it will start to turn black. the longer you rub the blacker it gets, then get you a clean rag and wipe it clean. you should have a chrome look when it's done. and the shine lasts awhile. you can buy jewlers ruge most any place polish is sold"

Back