Logo

Water impeller play

"ok guys... got it back togeth

"ok guys... got it back together. as I was putting it together, i was paying close attention to everything. when I assembled the water pump and put it on the gearcase, it was a tighter fit than before. I mean I had to push down on the housing to seat the seals as i tightened the four bolts. this was never this way before, and remember this was the first time I replaced the housing. also... when I rotated the driveshaft, there was more drag indicating the impeller was tighter than before. I looked again at the old housing and can see no obvious problems, but I believe it had some wear.
as I assembled everything, I would hook up the water and make sure I had good flow. I had water to and through the pump, I held the inner exhaust housing on the pump outlet and had good water to the top of the inner housing. after I assembled everything and left the exhaust cover off, i turned the water on and got flow out of that area. I got a little concerned when I installed that plate, turned the water on and could not get flow out the pee hole. I finally decided to start the engine.... and.... water shot out the pee hose.... stronger flow than I ever saw out of this.
problem solved.... but.... why?.... nothing major, but I believe part of the problem was the water pump housing. The other problem, if you remember, was the gasket between the exhaust housing and powerhead was leaking several places. I believe exhaust gases were messing the water flow, as one of you guys mentioned earlier. I believe I had this problem last summer and I didn't realize it.
sorry I didn't find something more pronounced, but it works great now. thanks so much for all your help. I understand this engine so much more now, and only because of your help. next up on this engine... it runs a little rough at idle. I think it needs adjusted and maybe decarb that you guys talk about all the time.
thanks again"

"Thanks for letting us know th

"Thanks for letting us know the outcome. Weird the way this one played out. My bet was on the leaking p'head to exhaust adapter gasket, letting exhaust into the water jacket. That was a big job for you...imagine what a shop would have charged..."

"thanks again for all your hel

"thanks again for all your help. It was a lot of work, but I am a technician and inspector (aircraft), and want to know how things work. what better way to find out than tear it all apart and put it back together?"

Back