Logo

BF15 Honda outboard cold natured

mikey1

"Has anyone had trouble gettin

"Has anyone had trouble getting one of these outboards to run in cold weather? It starts, but will only idle and wont take throttle for it seems like an eternity. All other aspects of motor seem in good working order. It is an 2004 model. Does anyone have any suggestions? t has an electric starter and an atomatic choke supposedly."

"I appreciate the advice, but

"I appreciate the advice, but I do not think the carb needs cleaning.It just seems that the engine is extremly cold natured, and I was wondering if anyone had any cold starting tips? One tech told me prior to starting, to twist the throttle wide open a few times. Has anyone tried this so that the carb has alot of fuel?"

"...and twisting the throttle

"...and twisting the throttle several times is a waste of time. That carb does not have an "accelerator" pump akin to one on a 4stroke inboard. Starting them when cold is just a question of somewhat artfull manipulation of the manual choke. As to "having a lot of fuel"... on the contrary, my BF75 (7.5HP) and likely your 15 is prone to getting flooded. Even in the summer I let my BF75 "warm up" for a few mins until it idles smoothly without any choke."

"I wish it had the manual chok

"I wish it had the manual choke! Mine is an electric start version and has an automatic choke. They tell me to convert to a manual choke that you have to change the entire carb system, etc. etc. It is hard to believe that they would design a motor that is so hard to start in cold weather."

"I have a 9.9 yami (had ma

"I have a 9.9 yami (had many of them) and they take awhile to settle down in cold temps as well. I just altered my routine years ago. I start the kicker first...choking it until it will run unattended and then let it run at idle while I get gear and the boat ready to go. I'll let it run for 15 to 20 minutes while I set up my rods, bait and get organized. Also if for some reason the main decides to be fussy starting I've at least got my battery charging 9.9 already running and helping to keep the battery up."

"Has it always acted this way,

"Has it always acted this way, or is it recent.

An engine sold for high elevation use (like Denver) will have leaner carb jet and could act this way at lower elevation (not to mention potential valve and piston damage).

'Pumping Throttle' would not be an answer and could cause flooding.

Your throttle should have a marked "Start" point, especially important with Auto Choke, could linkage have 'slipped' and gotten off this point.

Here is a link to download a 29MB PDF Service Manual for the BF8D, BF9.9, BF10 which should have a lot in common with your BF15:

http://novigrad.sitesled.com/1673.pdf

Page 6-8 has the testing procedures for the Electric Start Automatic Choke.

If engine was stored for more than thirty days with 'E10' Gasoline, it likely needs what JUST-IN-TIME first suggested; a carburetor cleaning."

"Is there a possibility that t

"Is there a possibility that the automatic choke solinoid is not working? If so can a novus, do the repair."

"Just looking at Chapter 6 of

"Just looking at Chapter 6 of the Service Manual linked above,
it appears that checking the resistance through the "SE Thermal Valve"
wire coil should be quite simple.

(Not a "solenoid" but an electric valve that enriches mixture to act as a 'Choke'.)

Should it fail, replacement should also be simple,
now to perform the "Flow Test" would require Carburetor removal.

With the carburetor removed, you might as well disassemble and clean it as outlined in the Manual.

Alcohol is a good solvent, Canned "Air" will help and fine copper wires can carefully clean passageways.

Carburetor "Cleaner" is a very powerful solvent and will take the skin off your fingers,
(and be 'hard' on some carburetor parts) so use it with great caution.

Another member had suggested using the canned air extension tube as a "pipette"
to blow cleaner through passageways, be sure to follow with an alcohol rinse.

Should you need parts drawing blowups. or to order parts, go here:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/parts.html

The above site also has good telephone support for any questions not clear on their website."

Back