Logo

1977 120hp Chrysler steering problem

happyone

"Hello,
How does one go

"Hello,
How does one go about pulling the motor all the way off the mount to expose the entire pin? The steering on this motor is so stiff I am going to break a cable trying to steer the boat. I have greased it at the zerk and get grease at the bottom but not the top. Have pulled the bottom plate off and it was pretty dry. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you! Dave"

"That’s a faulty design that y

"That’s a faulty design that you can find on any outboard. Of course there should be two grease nipples (upper and lower). It is obvious that the grease takes the easiest way out. I guess this is a way of cost save for the manufacturer. There are plastic bushings in this area and I have managed to exercise the frozen bushing and "wear" it down. Disconnect the steering cable and force the motor to turn (by hand) hundreds of times. This will generate friction heat in the frozen area. Too much heat will melt the plastic bushing (not good). Allow to cool down after some cycles (more often the harder frozen). You might be able to judge the amount of heat by touching the outside of the frozen area. Eventually, as the bushing wears down you will get some clearance that will allow the grease (or at least some WD40 from the outside) to enter. Unfortunately the grease will still take the easiest way out, and you may have to do this next year again. Too tight clearance is a common design mistake on many machines.
Good luck
Robert"

Back