Logo

DT140 EFI fuel coming out of throttle body

stuart_guy

My 2000 DT140TCLY runs rough a

My 2000 DT140TCLY runs rough at lower speeds but smooths out at higher speeds. I noticed fuel coming out of a small hole in the throat of the throttle body. The Suzuki manual doesn't show the purpose of this hole but it seems like it could be similar to an overflow in a carb when the float valve doesn't seat. Is there a float valve or something similar that I can clean or replace that would correct this?

"From some additional research

"From some additional research, it sounds like a reed valve issue. There are 16 of them. If I find a bad one, do I replace just the one or all? Is this something left to the pros to fix?"

"The reel valves come in 4 ass

"The reel valves come in 4 assemblys, one assembly for each cylinder with 16 valves total. You probably know this already if you have looked at the parts break down on Browns Point Marine http://store.brownspoint.com/dt140/fig004-1408601.asp . It would not be too hard to replace them IF that is actually your problem. Let me know, I have 2 sets (8 assemblys) of valves from two engines if you need a valve or assembly. If you are going to go for it I would suggest a Suzuki shop manual if you don't have one."

"I ordered the DT115/140 manua

"I ordered the DT115/140 manual, gaskets, and 4 valves and stops from Brownspoint. They shipped today. Once I get into it, I'll keep it in mind that you have the parts. Thanks."

If you ordered it today you sh

If you ordered it today you should have everything by this weekend. They are fast when they have all of the parts in stock. I ordered some stuff last night and I have the UPS tracking number already!

"There is a fuel separator tan

"There is a fuel separator tank on the front of the engine with a float valve. The float valve or float is the problem. A simple test is to squeeze the bulb and fuel comes out the hole just like when it is running. I'm ordering a new float, float valve, and gaskets as the existing float seems to barely float in a bowl of gasoline. If I hold the needle gently against the seat. It stops the flow of gas."

That is the vapor seperator wh

That is the vapor seperator where the fuel and oil are mixed before the mixture heads off to the high pressure fuel pump. Yes if the float doesn't stop the flow of fuel it will overflow. I don't have my manual with me to read up on the particulars but mine works fine at this time.

I checked the Suzuki manual an

I checked the Suzuki manual and another for setting the float. I didn't see any instructions. Any thoughts on how I'd find the procedure?

If you have the real deal Suzu

If you have the real deal Suzuki factory manual float setup is in there. You will have to go to the '96 section which I belive is the first year they came out with EFI. The book is strange because it adds components to the years that the update was lanuched. I don't have my manual with me so I can't look it up right now. If I remember right it gives you a measurement and tells you to bend the float to achieve that measurement.

"It's the real Suzuki manu

"It's the real Suzuki manual. I must be blind. P. 351 shows the '96 Vapor Separator but no adjustment info. P. 413 for '97 looks the same. I bent it up a few degrees and sqeezed the bulb. The bulb got firm and no gas came out like before. I'll put the new float, valve and gaskets in when they arrive. In the meantime it seems okay."

Page 375 gives the measurement

Page 375 gives the measurements and inspection criteria for the needle. Explanations and instructions on pages 351 and 375 are duplicated in the '97 section.

Back