Logo

Removing an OMC Stern Drive from a Buick 225 V6

"That pic Bob posted is the sa

"That pic Bob posted is the same one as the 1972 parts book.
yours must've been modified at some time.

On all the ones I've disassembled (late 70's, early 80's), there was just one screw through the drum that held the shaft in.

Roll pins are usually super hard, but if it's soft, should be easy to drill it out. The cable can usually stay attached until the engine is lifted up out of the hole -make it easier to work on."

"G'day Hy Stat, and others

"G'day Hy Stat, and others,

The one I have I believe to be at least a 1973 or '74 model as the Fuel Tank was made in November 1973, as stated on the Build Plate attached to is.

Now, I have finally got it all apart, engine and Intermediate Box out as a unit, and removed the Coupler after cutting the Bellhousing for access, and the Splines on both the Coupler and Shaft are in suprisingly good condition.

What was really holding it, and why I couldn't get the Lubricant to work was that there was a rubber sleeve around the splines, and it was extremely tight in the Coupler.

The pictures of the progress will be posted when I can get them down to an allowable size.

Now, is there any source for replacement "Finger" Gears? That is the two that mesh between the Intermediate Shaft and the Leg?

Thanks for all your assistance.

Bruce."

""ball gears"
you ca

""ball gears"
you can buy OMC ones at any Evinrude dealer, or you can get an aftermarket kit from Sierra, GLM or basically any company that makes boat parts.
Can buy them from this website, but probably easier on your side of the earth."

"Here are some pictures of the

"Here are some pictures of the extraction.

Bruce.

249278.jpg
Rigged up and ready to come out"">
249279.jpg
On the way"">
249280.jpg
Engine on the way down"">
249281.jpg
As low as it will go"">
249282.jpg
Here she comes, really undignified?"">
249283.jpg