Logo

BF15 Starts runs for 2 3 seconds then dies

pmains

"the motor sat for two+ ye

"the motor sat for two+ years. I changes out fuel, had a mechanic rebuild the carb, and they said it ran like a dream in their shop. Two weeks later, I started the motor in my driveway and same problem. It starts, runs 2 - 3 seconds, runs rough, then dies. Any recommendations would be appreciated!"

"This season, I put my sailboa

"This season, I put my sailboat in the water with its BF75 (7.5HP) in April. It started on the second pull and ran like a charm. For a variety of reasons (none good!) I didn't get to use the boat again until early July. Engine would not start. It turned out that the hose with primer bulb that I had on the tank was several years old and made by TEMPO. It also turned out that the liners on their older hoses were apparently solvent in Ethanol! Soooo I had to rebuild the carbs. It took several attempts as the idle circuit (at least on the BF75's carb) has a VERY fine jet and a rather circuitous passage. In the final act, I ended up having to clear the jet (it was "staked" in and not removeable) with a single strand of the multi strand copper wire from a lamp cord with tweezers and an eye loupe so I could see what I was doing. All the soaking and blowing in the world didn't dislodge the piece of crap that was stuck in the idle circuit. Soooo... if you happen to have an older aftermarket TEMPO fuel line, you may be looking at another carb clean out job..."

"I have pumped the primer bulb

"I have pumped the primer bulb before each attempted start and it seems to stay firm. Also, the fuel line is not "Tempo", responding to previous poster. Thanks!"

"I think what J-I-T was sugges

"I think what J-I-T was suggesting was that you pump the bulb while the engine is running to see if its a fuel pump problem.

Also... if your carb has a drain petcock, put a glass jar under the drain tube and open the drain and see what comes out (and how much)."

"Guys,

Thanks for the feedb

"Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. My mechanic cleaned the carb again. I added a fuel conditioner called SeaFoam upon the recommendation of a friend. The combination of the second attempted clean of the carb and the SeaFoam seemed to have worked. The BF15 starts/runs perfectly now for the past two days of fishing. Again, I appreciate the responses!"

Back