Logo

2001 BF50 stalling when I throttle up

flatspredator

"Hi guys- I stumbled upon this

"Hi guys- I stumbled upon this site and it seems like a wealth of knowledge, so I figured I would give it a shot. m I am having a problem with my 2001 Honda BF50 engine.

It idles somewhat rough, but not too bad for an older engine with alot of hours on it.

The real problem that I am having is that when I throttle up too fast it stalls out, or when I try to power the boat onto the trailer it stalls out too. It seems to have a dead spot at about 2500-300 RPM, and I have to verrryyyyy sloowwwly throttle up through that RPM range or else the engine sputters out and stalls.

The carbs were just recently cleaned out, but I am not sure if they need to be adjusted or something? Any advice would really be great because I am not satisfied witht he engines performance at all. I just got the boat about a month ago.

Also, it does not have this problem when the boat is not in gear. I have revved it up while flushing the engine and it does not stall out like this. Any ideas??"

"If your engine date of manufa

"If your engine date of manufacture is pre June 2000 check out the Honda Service bulletin attached. I replaced my carb assembly on my 1999 BF50 as per bulletin and haven't had any problems since.

248693.gif
"

"im not sure but i beleive the

"im not sure but i beleive there is a plaque with model id and serial at the transom bracket and and date of manufacture below pivot tube, i can't verify cause i can't visit my boat this weekend.
You might also want to check your carb model id by looking at the top carb while looking down at the flywheel. The carbs that caused problems were BG31A(A)"

doea anyone know how to adjust

doea anyone know how to adjust the carbs to make the engine run richer? a few people have told me that might be the problem

"With regard to your dead spot

"With regard to your dead spot at 2500 rpm when throttling up. Providing the carbs ARE cleaned out properly & spark plugs have been renewed, then I would say it's caused by either stale/low octane fuel, or faulty thermostat(causing engine to run too cold)."

"have the same problem and add

"have the same problem and additionally some gas in the oil.

got the tip the check the fuel pump, but that actually is fine.

so i am going to replace the carbs"

"Gas in the oil can be a sympt

"Gas in the oil can be a symptom of thermostat problem as well as Fuel Pump.

Running without a thermostat can cause uneven circulation and 'spot' overheat as well as gas in oil.

Take it out and clean it; to test, put it in a pan of water on your stove with a candy thermometer and see that it opens at the spec (from your Shop Manual).

For my BF75/BF100 SM it lists "full closed at 50-70c (122-158f)" depending on s/n and "full open at 60-80c (140-176f)" depending on s/n.

Shop Manual also lists a Valve Lift of 2-3 mm (0.08-0.12 in) or 3-4 mm (0.12-0.16 in) again depending on engine s/n."

Back