Logo

Sea king 5 info

jimp115

"My family and I rent a house

"My family and I rent a house in saranac lake each year. the house comes with a 14' lund boat, but no motor. My father gave my a sea king 5 motor that used to be my grandfathers.Wanted to fix it up and take on vacation. I don't know the last time it was used but i'm sure it was at least 25 years or so. It is a mont. wards sea king 5 model# 45GG9015a. By researching this site I believe it is a 1954 5h.p. twin cylinder made for mont. wards by Gale(omc). I know nothing about outboards. Can anyone help me to at least find out if the motor works or is worth working on? I haven't started it yet. Noticed that there is gas in the tank (tank is part of engine). What should i check or do in the proper order so that i don't do anything to damage it if it is in working order. Thank you for any help on this matter."

"Jim - You are right about thi

"Jim - You are right about this motor being a Gale product. Not sure how easy parts are to find for a '54, but I think it is worth playing with a bit. Generally speaking, OMC motors of this era are good projects for reliable propulsion, or just for the fun of getting them running. The integrated fuel tank on your model saves you the hassle of dealing with the pressure tanks used by similar OMC motors built by Evinrude and Johnson. Try following the steps on the web page below. Unless the impeller seems likely to fall apart or not spin, I wouldn't invest in a replacement impeller until the motor shows promising signs in the spark and compression departments. However, you should install a new impeller as soon as you determine that it looks like a runner. Odds are the coils will be shot, but they aren't that expensive to replace. If you have good compression, you probably have the basis for a good motor.

http://www.precisionservoutboard.com/Information/ArtsFivePointPlan/tabid/65/Defa ult.aspx"

appreciate all the information

appreciate all the information. sorry it took so long to reply. but i was away. didn't want anyone to think that i was ungreatful. looks like i have enough info to get a good start. I'm sure i'll be back when i get stuck. thanks again.

"I need help finding a cowling

"I need help finding a cowling for an older sea king 5 hp It is white with a blue and silver pin stripe around it I have the old one but it blew off goin down the road and is beyond repair send me an e-mail or somethin
[email protected]"

Back