Logo

1994 BF 15A lowerShift

jrose_89

"Ok I just bought this 1994 Ho

"Ok I just bought this 1994 Honda BF15A a few days ago. It runs great, however the guy said it had been about 3 years since he had the water pump replaced. So I got all the parts and started the job. Well in the middle of taking the lower unit off I Broke off the threaded area of the lower shift rode (the manual calls it Shift Rode B) and my problems started here. I then order a new rode, however I can get the old one out. I have removed the Bolt to the left of it but it will not budge. It looks as if the saltwater has made everything one part. Any suggestions of how to get it out?"

"(posted in the right thre

"(posted in the right thread this time)
When in doubt, drill it out.

A screw extractor might work, they're cheap, and there are good resources online in how to remove broken bolts in blind holes. You do not want the extractor to break though...

A propane torch and some penetrating oil is your best friend. Heat it up, dump some oil on it, and wait for a while. Repeat a couple of times, and it might just come up. The heat from the torch breaks down the salts, and the oil gets into the little cracks to help lubricate.

On the water pump, you might find severe corrosion below the pump. JB weld metal epoxy, or my personal favorite Duralloy both work great for building up damaged areas and restoring sealing surfaces."

"Gerry, thank you for the help

"Gerry, thank you for the help. the entire lower is trash the oil in it is like jello and there is corrosion inside the lower. So now I am looking for an cheap lower."

Back