Logo

Carburator gum up during storage

jcoughenour

"1990 Yamaha 115 HP,only used

"1990 Yamaha 115 HP,only used in fresh water & very low hrs. Don't get to use as often as I would like. Between usage sits up in inside building storage, the carbs are always gumed up when get it out to use. Sometimes 4-6 months between use. Will crank good, but will not perform in water. Bogs when you try to gain speed. I have used two of the major brands of gasoline additive. I have to have carbs rebuilt (cleaned) each time out, to the tume of $200 to $300. QUESTION Is there a better way to prevent and can I clean myself?? }}Whats envolved? Thanks, JHC"

run them dry every time u stor

run them dry every time u store it. yamaha carbs are tricky i dont recomend doing them yourself unless you really know what u r doing.it took me quite a few sets to get the hang of claning them

"i have a 1999 85horse yahama,

"i have a 1999 85horse yahama,it starts great but it won,t run at full throttle probably at 10 mph at the most,i have change coils,plugs, even rebuilt carbs,does anyone think i need an overhaul"

"You may have to have your car

"You may have to have your carbs cleaned one more time by someone who knows what they're doing. From then on use Sta-Bil or Seafoam all the time, double up the dosage when you're going to store motor for several weeks/months. right before you store motor drain each carb with 10MM brass drain plug on bottom side of carb. before you put each plug back in, pump the bulb to "flush" carb out a bit, replace plugs and you're set to go. I know this works because I've been doing it this way for 10+years and my carbs have never been cleaned. Also, get a water/fuel seperator at Walmart for $25, install on your transom and you'll eliminate most of fuel related problems. Good Luck!"

Back