Logo

Ignition key how does it work

alan

Contributing Member
"1986 DT115 - after 3 weeks of

"1986 DT115 - after 3 weeks of no use, I clipped the ignition key on to the switch spigot but it will not rotate.

How does the key work? Is it coded? could it somehow have lost its code?"

"Sorry JUST-IN-TIME, I do not

"Sorry JUST-IN-TIME, I do not understand your question. Please expand."

Do later models have a convent

Do later models have a conventional metal key switch with tumblers that might fit our control box?

"That is correct, the key does

"That is correct, the key doesn't work anymore. The spigot on the switch will rotate only about half a millimetre (.020"), (just the slack in the switch), whether the key is attached or not. It worked completely satisfactorily last time we had the boat out."

spray some lube in there
soun

spray some lube in there
sounds like you need to tighten the nut up to keep it from spinning

where are u located

"The very small amount of rota

"The very small amount of rotation it does have is quite free. It is similar to putting a conventional key only part way into a switch and being able to get a slight rotation out of the switch. When rotated that little amount, the switch barrel comes up against a solid feeling mechanical stop, not gradual as if it required lubricating. I have the switch out of the control box. The nut holding the switch in place was tight until then. I am in New Zealand."

"We have fitted another switch

"We have fitted another switch. Test ran the motor in a tank last night but the low water pressure beeper didn't shut off so our serviceman temporarily disconnected it (the motor was peeing as strongly as ever). Put it in the lake today for a day of skiing but, the key wouldn't turn.

It would seem that it is the motor electrics that is zapping the key.

Before new year (when the original switch was fitted) we jump started the motor from a car and then put that car's battery in the boat and did a day's skiing. Next day we replaced the battery with a new one and fired up the motor no problem. 3 weeks later the key was zapped as per my initial post.

Interestingly when trying last weekend to hot wire the original switch, when livening the ignition circuit only the low water pressure beeper went; none of the instruments lit up such as the trim meter and the oil level lights.

Anyone got any ideas?"

Don't laugh! We didn't

Don't laugh! We didn't notice that the serviceman had installed the switch up side down so were attaching the key 180 degrees out of whack. We are replacing the water pressure switch so that will hopefully fix the beeper problem.

Back