Logo

Volvo Penta AQ200D amp 280 Drive big clunk when changing gear

boatmaddaddy

Hello Volvo friends

I have

Hello Volvo friends

I have just bought a Windy 22 (1985) with a Volvo AQ200D and 280 leg. There is a harsh bang when shifting gears. The idle speed is about 700-800 rpm at the moment and it feels like it might stall any second when shifting gears and then it recovers.

Any ideas how to stop the gear change from banging?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dan

"mmmmmm..... I would suspect a

"mmmmmm..... I would suspect a problem with the bearings in the "leg". Have you checked the oil level in the leg?... Drain about 4 oz of lower unit oil into a glass jar from the bottom drain plug and check it for metal shavings... Idle should be lower, more like 500 RPM. Shifting at 700-800 often results in a bit of a clunk, but not in a "harsh bang" or in a situation that looks like an incipient stall out.
Also remove the prop and "line cutter" and see if anything is wrapped around the prop shaft..."

"Thanks Robert,

Will give i

"Thanks Robert,

Will give it a go in the week. It is interesting that you mention metal shavings, the guy I bought from had a major trauma with the leg to the point where the Bell Housing shattered reulting in the top end of the leg being rebuilt.

The bill he showed me for the work mentioned that the marine engineers had checked the leg for metal shavings. Hopefully they did what they said on paper!!

Regards

Dan"

"Ok I had this problem, and be

"Ok I had this problem, and before you go any further, pop the cap off the drive upper gear box and check the end play of the vertical shaft. Theres a wear collar on the bottom of that shaft when it wears in excess you will start to get a clunk from the shaft movement. There is a spec on that end play,check it for your outdrive and if out of spec you will need to replae the brass collar and the shim under the top nut to get proper end play, if you don't address it yopur shaft will eventually break the top cover and you'll trash the gear box and the mid section."

"Hi Volvo Friends

Had a cha

"Hi Volvo Friends

Had a chance for a quick check over today. Re harsh bang when engaging gears. Sure enough the engine is currently idling at 1000 rpm and not the recommended 600 rpm.

Will rectify this next weekend and hopefully solve the problem.

If not, then I will pop the cap off the stern leg upper unit and look at the wear ring under the bolt.

Have just inveted in a Pertronix Ingnitor II and Flamethrower II coil along with new HT leads and plugs to give a smoother Idle to enable me to lower the revs, will let you know how I get on with the install next weekend.

Regards

Dan"

"I'm 100% sure you will lo

"I'm 100% sure you will love the upgrade to Pertronix.
biggrin.gif
"

"have to agree with Allen Levo

"have to agree with Allen Levon. the high idle may have been the cause, but you have almost certainly stretched the ring below the forward gear. the clearance check will show it. but the problem is at the other end of the upper shaft. a new nut will not fix it."

Back