Logo

Yamaha problem

trentmc

"I have a 25 hp 4 stroke Yamah

"I have a 25 hp 4 stroke Yamaha, I went to the lake today and it was running good for the first part of the trip. I started it up and drove a little bit and it just throttled down on me...... The rest of the trip in I had to limp my way back to the ramp, It would throttle up if not in gear, but once I put a load on it it would throttle back down. I had to keep it around 2K RPM on the trip in. Any suggestions before I have totake it to the shop."

Make sure you don't have w

Make sure you don't have water in your carb fuel bowls. You might open them and dump the contents into a jar to identify water/debris.

clogged up fuel filter? Old gas?

"K, I changed the fuel filter,

"K, I changed the fuel filter, and the fuel line is drained after each use before pulling it out of the water. Today I changed the plugs and looked at the oil, The dipstick is way over full and smells like gas. What causes fuel to get into the oil????? I am about to go drain the oil."

leaving the choke on... or oth

leaving the choke on... or otherwise over fueling. The oil will be noticably thinner and smell like gas.

"The choke is electric on the

"The choke is electric on the key (push the key in while you turn it) I was told it was carcked block, or something really bad that I can't afford to fix right now. But if it is just the choke or overfueling that would be good I guess."

If the engine is continuously

If the engine is continuously running cold it will push gas into the crankcase. Check that the t-stats are working properly.

"Also check the diaphram on th

"Also check the diaphram on the fuel pump, if it develops a small tear it will leak fuel into the engine, filling the crankcase fairly quickly."

Back