Logo

Crusader Challenger 270 Alternator 4 2 Wire Conversion

rewdj

"Hello all, I recently purchas

"Hello all, I recently purchased a replacement alternator for my Crusader Challenger 270 Inboard. Existing alternator is a 4 Wire, 1 large, 3 smaller gauge. The replacement is a 2 wire, please explain the difference if you know & what I will need todo to use the replacement, thanks in advance!"

"some more detail would help -

"some more detail would help - brand of alternator(s), color of wires..., part numbers, etc.

Sounds like you may not have been provided a replacement (new, working version); is it a real marine alternator?"

"Yes it is a replacement Marin

"Yes it is a replacement Marine & according to Crusader the new replacements have only the 2 Wire, the original had I believe Lrg Red for charging, & 3 other wires possibly Red, Green, Purple or Black."

"Did the 3 small wires go to a

"Did the 3 small wires go to a remote regulator? If so, simply remove the old regulator. I know the older Motorola alternators used a remote, adjustable regulator, mounted about a foot away."

"Large terminal on the alterna

"Large terminal on the alternator would be the out-put to the battery (obviously)
and my guess would be, the second terminal on the alternator would connect to an ignition wire, (key on / run position). If a second wire connection is required at all.
I work on many trucks that use a 1 wire set up, but I lack expertise in the marine mech field.

Fred 156-M"

"a typical 3-wire system has o

"a typical 3-wire system has output, like Fred indicated, a sensing lead, and an excitation lead, but only if the regulator is internal (or integrated with the alternator. The excitation usually comes from thte key switch and the sense usually goes to the battery connection at the engine harness 'connector'.

without having specifics on the old/new alternators or the colors used, i can only guess. that usually isn't a good thing to do unless your in dire straits..."

"based on your link, it is a s

"based on your link, it is a standard MANDO alternator.

Next time you see the engine, make of note of what color wires are no longer connected to the old alternator.

The Mando is one of the 'typical' 3-wire types. You can add another wire for a good install as it will be the dedicated ground (BLK). The output is usually ORG and AWG 10 +/-. The excite lead usually comes from the key and is purple. The sense lead (normal factory harness) ties in at the main circuit breaker and can be Red, orange, or red/purple.

Does your new alternator have the regulator bolted onto the rear of it? If yes, how many wires exit the regulator?"

"Buried in the fine print, MCR

"Buried in the fine print, MCR says
"If you would like to discuss your installation project before you purchase, please feel free to contact us at 586-773-2089."
But it sounds like Mark is right on. "

Back