Logo

ID my distributor cap

"1988 (1987?) 4.3L OMC

"1988 (1987?) 4.3L OMC V6 (GM)

there isn't any marks on the outside of the cap, inside of it; its marked "IBM 1009". It's screw down type.

I want to convert it to point-less (electronic) ignition.

Thanks!"

"Without your model number I c

"Without your model number I can't be sure but I think your cap is OEM number 984398 and replacment of 18-5353.

Does you engine have a "shift assist module"? If so I don't think there is an electronic conversion kit for it."

"Yes, I do have the Shift assi

"Yes, I do have the Shift assist module. I hear there is a mod (diode mod) you can do to get it to work. Anyone know the mod???

I think it is the 984398 that I have."

"There is a diode fix for Pert

"There is a diode fix for Pertronix electronic conversions (have heard mixed reviews on how well it works) you can go to the Pertronix site and see the diagram for the fix or you can replace your ESA module with one that has been designed to work with Pertronix ignitions, see this link http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=90470F"

"I believe it was mostly the d

"I believe it was mostly the diode fix, of course some guys tried to blame the Pertronix kit but I suspect it was more in the building the diode fix, poor workmanship, cold solder joints, etc."

"I guess I'll findout.

"I guess I'll findout.

I ordered the pertronix kit, and CDI shift assist module... hopefully it will be here next week sometime."

Back