Logo

6768 Chris Craft

6768_cavaliers

"I have purchased two 33'

"I have purchased two 33' Chris Craft Cavaliers early this past fall. They where both in the water in 2007 and where winterized in the winter of 2007 since then there has been nothing done. They have twin 327 219hp. I am new to large boats and am not sure what I need to do come spring time is there a good manual or DVD out there or can someone talk me through it.
248172.jpg
248173.jpg
"

"You have the flywheel aft 327

"You have the flywheel aft 327F, which I think it the best small block Chevy motor used in Chris Craft boats. The only problem is the aft flywheel is low to the bilge in some boats like my 20' Sea Skiff, and it will scoop water and spray it around the engine box. Naturally the fix is to make the boat watertight, which I did.

These motors came with two different distributors, so check carefully to see if you have the Prestolite. If so I can reference you to places that even carry the small internal advancement springs, and of course, all the points and condenser, caps, etc., which you are able to get here on this site.

They take all the standard manifolds and risers, and are pretty simple and durable motors. There are numerous things to tend to such as impellers, to avoid problems. Bad impellers will not prime water into the motor upon startup. Also, bad pressure regulator valves will cause motor to overheat during low speed operation. I had a pair of these in a 1968 35' Chris Sea Skiff.

Be sure you put the plugs back into the water pump, and cooler. Be sure any stopcocks are closed too. Upon startup, look over the motor with a very bright light and if you missed anything it will be quite apparant as water will be squirting out.

The 327F I'm running now in a 20' Sea Skiff sat for six years, runs great. I squirted some MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) into each plug hole and turned the motor over carefully as a precaution, made sure the plugs were not oiled up, changed out the aluminum filter at the front of the motor which was FULL of crap, rebuilt the carbs, and everything came right up to spec.

If you want to see some of my motor photos, check out this link on my restoration thread, it has a video of the 327F running first time on a garden hose!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/message/1166307789

Regards,

Paul"

"That thing between the altern

"That thing between the alternator and center crankshaft pulley is a rudimentary fuel filter. I strongly recommend that be cleaned out, and you add another one like the big RACOR somewhere on the boat between the tank and the fuel pump.

248428.jpg

In this photo, the water pump goes right in front of the fuel pump, as you can see the pulley from the crankshaft is aligned for this. the pully above the crankshaft pulley is the circulating water pump.

Regards,

Paul"

Thank you for your help......I

Thank you for your help......I will get better pictures when the weather warms up. I hope I can get clear pictures and give you a little more information.

"OK have some pictures need so

"OK have some pictures need some help telling me what I am looking at. I have also taken a picture of what I would call the dash want to know if anything is missing.
248681.jpg
248682.jpg
248683.jpg
248684.jpg
248685.jpg
248686.jpg
248687.jpg
"

andrew
why does the wording o

andrew
why does the wording on this site extend way beyond the edgs of the page very tedious to read.

Back