Logo

Flywheel key

yak07

"My flywheel key keeps shearin

"My flywheel key keeps shearing. The motor runs great and then dies and the key has been sheared. Anyone have any ideas?
uhoh.gif
"

"Larry, usually just a few thi

"Larry, usually just a few things that cause keys to shear,sudden stops,ie;lawnmower blade hits a steel pipe or in the case of a boat motor, timing incorrect and motor wants to try to run backwards on crankup or shut down, the taper fit between crank and flywheel is sloppy or the key slot in the crank or flywheel is sloppy[loose]. check these few things and keep us posted. turboman"

one other thing [and possibly

one other thing [and possibly the most important of all]is the correct torque on the flywheel nut on top .turboman

"I did not torque down my flyw

"I did not torque down my flywheel. That is probaly the problem. I replaeced the stator and the key sheared off. Put on another and the same thing happened. I will torque it down this time.
crazy.gif
Thanks turbo_man."

"Larry,if you can tell me what

"Larry,if you can tell me what motor you have ,I might be able to tell you what to torque the flywheel nut to.Let us know how it turns out. turboman"

"most every multi cylinder for

"most every multi cylinder force goes to 90 ftlbs,this is according to my manuals.hope this solves your problem keep us posted ,turboman"

Back