Logo

O2 sensor

aristakat

Regular Contributor
Is there a way to clean o2 sen

Is there a way to clean o2 sensor and is there anyway to even check sensor other then switch to other engines.I have mil light but not quite sure how to oberserve light bilnks to diaganose errors can anyone help ?

well I broke down and ordered

well I broke down and ordered a new 02 sensor 185.00 even though I had it replaced only a year ago and no more alarm now . Alarm came on only at slow or idle speed.

O2 sensors should generate bet

O2 sensors should generate between 0 and 1 volt depending on oxygen level in the exhast gas stream. .5 should theoretically equate to a stoich mixture. On a strip chart is should go from rich to lean to rich in a sine wive. Some hang a little longer in rish than in lean "lien bias"...

at least thats how it works on a car.

"I Had my 02 sensor replaced y

"I Had my 02 sensor replaced yesterday and fix the problem ( i had the same problem though). Mine is a 2007 bf 225 with 220 hours. I wonder what causes the o2 sensor to fail? would that be a bad manifold gasket? hope someone knows, otherwise we'll need $200 every 200 hours.Thanks. Greetings from Mexico"

I trim my motors up when boat

I trim my motors up when boat is sitting in water off plane and also when loading and unloading boat. I think one major problem with o2 sensor's going bad is saltwater backflow thru exhaust ports on back of motors.

"O2 sensor failure should be c

"O2 sensor failure should be covered under the motor warranty, shouldn't they?

Aristakat - can you explain how water entering the exhaust ports can create a failure in the O2 sensors?"

"water come in thru open exhau

"water come in thru open exhaust ports on back of cowling. There are 02 sensors at back of of block there, They usually last a couple of years and for us boaters with motors out of warranty doesn;t help. I have had mine since new 2002 and replaced o2 sensor on both motors many times"

"Aristakat - got it, checked t

"Aristakat - got it, checked the workshop manual diagrams and see how that can happen - thanks."

"Two questions.
Would this be

"Two questions.
Would this be helpful to avoid the problem? after docking, leave the motor iddling for some time, lets say 10 minutes so water evaporates from exhaust ports?
Second, where can i get a shop manual for the 2007 BF225? Thanks to all"

"I do not think that leaving t

"I do not think that leaving the engine idling will do away with the problem. Once the sensor gets damaged, it needs replacement.

Raising the engine when loading and unloading is a must, as I learned on the second time I damaged the sensor. My wife and I where loading up for a weekend out, and water came in. Turned on the engine, and "beep". My tech was at the marine, so we fast idled for 10 minutes, but arriving at the fuel dock, "beep". So , once damaged, replacement is needed.

The first O2 change was covered by warranty, and I'm still under warranty so I guess this one should be also covered. I was told there is a bulleting with a new procedure or upgrade that needs to be done in order to solve this issue. Anyone out there knows about it?"

"As I said I tilt my motors up

"As I said I tilt my motors up when loading and unloading and also when I am siting off plane in water. This has helped so far. It ashame this is still happening in 2007 my motors are 2002 so its being going on for at least 5 yrs
If someone knows of a bullentin to solve problem please share. As far as far as shop manual I got mine at local honda dealer"

I guess this will sound pretty

I guess this will sound pretty ignorant but what does th o2 sensor do? I know it senses o2. What does it do with that info? Do I have one on my 2008 BF20?

"It has do do with the mixture

"It has do do with the mixture of oxygen in the gas for the combustion. Different ratios at different RPMs. For example, I used the boat for one weekend with the faulty sensor and ended up using the double of gas as I would normaly use..."

"BF20, nope still cared motor

"BF20, nope still cared motor

they have an updated exhaust also, which made the o2 sensors problems go away"

"o2 sensors are used with Fuel

"o2 sensors are used with Fuel Injected, electronicly controlled engines, not with carburetor types."

"J.I.T., Do you know when Hond

"J.I.T., Do you know when Honda released the upgraded manifold or better still, do you know the part no. ? I will keep some in stock and replace them as a warranty upgrade when i next strike an O2 sensor issue. Under warranty, Honda has always come to the party for replacement. Unfortunately, out of warranty, O2 sensors are considered a *service item*"

Back