Logo

PUMP BLUE

"Yeah, JWB said that all quick

"Yeah, JWB said that all quick disconnects should be removed from small tanks being used on big engines to eliminate restrictions. The tank is vented, the tank has the cap-crew thing that is unscrewed to allow the tank to breath. any others on taking one of the filters out??? or re jetting due to the change of altitude???"

"Just my two cents worth, but

"Just my two cents worth, but if the 6 gal. tank only has a 1/4"'or 5/16" line drawing from inside the tank, you can put a 3" fitting and line on it and it will still only draw from the small syphon hose inside the tank.
Having someone hold a 3/8" hose inside the filler nozzle of the small tank and syphoning directly from the tank will eliminate the restriction at the tank.
As well, with the gas cap off, it should be able to get more air into the tank. That cap-screw thing for air intake will not draw in enough air for the gas to flow freely. The tank needs the same amount of air intake as fuel exits."

wow!!!!!!!!

is this a recor

wow!!!!!!!!

is this a record thread length or what?!

just out of curiosity how large of an eng can you run on a 6 or 12 gal tank with snap on conn without starving the eng?

"To the shop will go tomorrow.

"To the shop will go tomorrow.... well after going out to the lake today, I took the power head cover off as well as the air silencer and eliminated the fuel/water separator from the fuel system(temporary and for testing purposes), I got it to run at ~5000 RPMs and got it to about 35~mph so I’m starting to suspect that my speedometer is bad too, I figure that a 5000 RPMs the boat should be going at least around 45MPH not 35MPH but the speedometer is a minor issue and the least of my worries, I’m going to have the mechanic run the motor on the dyno or a test tank so he can clearly duplicate the fault... I feel kind of good knowing that the engine is able to go at least 5000 RPM and get on plane, gives me hope that maybe all the motor needs is a good ol “tune up” you know carbs, sync, and plugs… but I’ll keep you guys posted may be before weekend is over I will be able to put an end to this tread…."

"boat speedos are ornaments!

"boat speedos are ornaments!

gps is the only way to go.

there are too many factors that affect the accuracy of boat speedos.

fish finders use paddle wheels, some speedo use water pick up, some use the lever that is pushed by water pressure...............and all these water powered speedos are attached to your boat that is bouncing across the waves at xx mph.....and if you go boating where there is current you could just imagine the way that will affect it....

sorry you are having so much trouble.
hope it all works out........and is inexpensive."

"Thanks David, you are right,

"Thanks David, you are right, I notice that I can be going about 10 MPHs and it does not register any, I increase the RPMs and then the speedometer jumps right to 20 MPH so we will see, the main concern is to get the motor right so we will see…"

"i hope this experience hasnt

"i hope this experience hasnt turned you off of boating..............theres nothing like it........even when its cold outside i enjoy my boat-----i just dont go real fast....... for very long!

i just got a parts motor saturday from a guy who had ended up getting into boating when his son "just had to have one" and needed a little more help than he anticipated. during our brief conversation we both agreed that when we stepped into the boating world we got a shock when all the expenses started adding up....................from my experiance you can buy a boat and put a grand in it without blinking. then you look at it, price some more "goodies", and think to yourself ""i could have just bought a nicer boat and been done with this"" .....i have 3 and it doesnt matter how much you payed for it---it will still cost you a butt load by the time you get it the way you want it.

you will either love it or hate it.......or hate to love it as my wife says"

"No... not yet...I took it to

"No... not yet...I took it to the tech and paid 240 bucks for a set of spark plugs and some work , he said that 4 of six plugs were different, he said that the timing was retarded and he readjusted it, and found a sparkplug wire that had a gash on it... well took it out to the lake and ran better, the restriction alarm issue did not got fixed, the alarm still goes off I pumped the primer bulb as it was going off and that quieted the alarm... but I’m beginning to think that the alarm goes off due to the small tank I’m using as the fuel level gets low and while turning the gas goes to one side of the tank (not picking gas up) the 200 HP sucks lots of gas so as air is sucked in the sensor thinks that there is an obstruction...the alarm never goes off with a full tank so next week when I get back from out of town I’m going to clean up the tank on the boat (50gal) and put in at least 20 gal in it, one thing that I happened to notice was that from under the air silencer(the one that covers the carbs) gas was dripping so I might have some float issues... let me know what you guys think... one more thing I was going to adjust the air/gas mix on the carbs but my carbs have two jets in front of the carbs, actually they are orifices, not needless so I’m trying to figure out what kind of carbs I got, because according to the book, serial # and microfiche I should have one orifice and one adjusting needle on the front of each carb, and the motor is jetted at see level Florida) and I’m at ~4000 feet here in AZ so does any body knows what kind of carbs do I have or what motor came with non adjustable needles??? Mine suppose to be a 1998 200 HP Johnson…"

"Well got the alarm issue fixe

"Well got the alarm issue fixed, I replaced the glass fuel filter with a regular plastic one and went from the 6 gal tank to the 56 gal tank and the beeping stopped... I guess the glass filters are more restrictive than the plastic regular ones, motor ran 45 MPH at 5300 RPMs I’m happy…."

are you not running a water/fu

are you not running a water/fuel separator?........thats the only one i run....no need for any others and the replacements are only $5-6...the hard part to swallow is the initial $30

glad to see everything is going your way!

"Yeah I have a F/W separator,

"Yeah I have a F/W separator, I only had a fixed one w/o the water drain plug in the bottom (car oil filter looking one), but went ahead and upgraded to the one with a bowl in the bottom for better monitoring, but I have been running another regular filter right before the fuel pump, I had first a glass one and just took it off and installed a regular plastic fuel filter... so you are saying that there is no need for a "second filter"??? (the one I have before the fuel pump)"

i use the oil filter looking o

i use the oil filter looking one..........i didnt know there was one with a drain.......i have been seeing these responses about them but i have never seen one.

if the new style with the drain has the filtering inside like the older ones then no you do not need any other filter.

"Cool, thanks David you can fi

"Cool, thanks David you can find the F/W separator with the drain here at marineengine, I'll post the parts #s later after I get off work..."

Back