Logo

Paragon Transmission Slipping

"I've read through archive

"I've read through archived posts and can't find any with the same symptoms that I'm having. Twin 360's bolted to Paragon V drives. I had trouble reversing out of the dock (pulled to one side). I tied her back up and had someone shift each of the engines into reverse while I was in the engine compartment. The port was rotating much faster than the stbd at idle in gear. Rev'd and barely increased shaft rotation speed. Then it suddenly "grabbed" hold and was running the same as the other. Shifted back to neutral, then to reverse and same symptoms as before like the clutch is slipping or not engaging.
Has anyone had these symptoms before and what could be possible causes?

David"

"Might be a sticking valve in

"Might be a sticking valve in the valve body. If you change the fluid, and add some quality "shift enhancer" additive, you might get lucky.

Jeff"

"Thank you Jeff. This is my f

"Thank you Jeff. This is my first experience with Paragon. Can I use my dipstick engine oil changer through the fill hole or is there a drain? I am victim of spray can overhaul overspray by previous owner so all is blue and covered. Also read in previous thread about using Dextron II. Approx. how much and where should it sit on the dipstick when cold and filling it? Checked the level and way above fill line when cold. I know I need to check it when warm, but will that make the level appear higher or lower? And to properly check fluid level, can I idle engine for 20 min. and check or do I need to engage the gear for a minute?Thanks again.

David"

Suck it out anywhere you can;

Suck it out anywhere you can; disconnect and use a cooler hose if you have to. The level should be above full when cold. You need to run it a while (especially in cold weather) toget the trans fully warm before checking.

Jeff

"I had slipping in reverse on

"I had slipping in reverse on port trans. There is a bolt with washers that pressures reverse hold band. Locate the bolt, remove a washer, try reverse. If trans slips, keep removing/testing until it either stops slipping or you run out of washers. If you run out of washers, you'll need to pull trans for a rebuild. Goto www.marinegears.com. Look up paragon schematic on reversing gears and find parts listing for bolt 76 and washer 77. Good luck!"

"Thank you George and Jeff for

"Thank you George and Jeff for the ideas. I looked at the trans and found (i think) the bolt that pressures the reverse band. Just my luck, there's no washers on it so I have to assume it's been tightened all the way already. Unless the washers are internal. Do I need to remove the bolt to remove internal washers or are they just below the head on the outside? Also, if I remove this bolt, is there something that keeps the reverse band in place so I can put the bolt back in? I'm going to replace the fluid this week as well just to see if that works.
David"

I would remove the bolt and ch

I would remove the bolt and check for washers which should be just below the bolt head. I pulled out the bolt and reinstalled with no adverse reaction form the reverse band other than it started working. HTH!
George

Back