Logo

BF100 Exhaust Pipe etc etc etc

pilotart

Regular Contributor
"It started over a year ago wi

"It started over a year ago with the hidden hole in the exhaust pipe common to BF75/BF100's pre-1700001 s/n , causing poor operation with cover on.

For replacement, I removed the whole power head from the oil case.
Now I realize that it would be far more sensible (and easier) to just remove the cylinder head to access that exhaust pipe.

Beyond just a much simpler operation, this would also allow a necessary cleaning of the water jackets.

My greatest problem after my exhaust pipe replacement (using the post s/n 1700001 improved version) has been water contamination in engine oil that began a few months ago and has been increasing.

(Now a five minute idle run with flush attached adds 200ml of water to the 800ml of oil,
>>>wish I could just boil that oil dry>>> :D .)

After going through replacement of intake/exhaust gaskets, as well as head gasket with problem just getting worse, found a pinch in the 'O' Ring that should seal the water passage as it passes between the oil pan case into the power head.

Thanks to "Never-Seize", instead of a three day headache to remove the power head in 2007, it was just an easy couple hour job to remove power head and find that faulty 'O' Ring.

Expecting delivery of new gasket, shaft seal and 'O' Ring in two days and I am asking for advice to avoid any 'pinch' in this new 'O' Ring.

The engine side surface is flat and smooth, but on the case side where the pipe comes through the center of the 'O' Ring 'land', it is a little rough and un-even on the top, inner edge just where the water pipe comes through the case casting. The mating surface and 'O' Ring groove looks smooth and true.

I would normally only use a little NeverSeize on the pan gasket and a little silicone Grease on the 'O' Ring.

After this disaster with the 'O' Ring, I am tempted to use a little adhesive compound in the land it rides in to keep it centered and away from that inner roughness,
any recommendation on this (or anything else) would sure be appreciated.

TIA,

Art"

"Art, FWIW I would have a con

"Art, FWIW I would have a concern that once you compress the o-ring the adhesive bond might break and, if the adhesive was hard, a speck could start cutting into the o-ring. You might substitute a light coating of marine type grease to help hold the o-ring in place but the best thing to do would be to polish out the roughness with a dremel tool if you can get at that surface.

Tom"

Back