Logo

Outboard Engine Stand for 70hp Evinrude

jmccorison

"As a minor introduction, I&#3

"As a minor introduction, I'm completely new to large outboards. Last month I "bought" a free Boston Whaler Montauk 17. Nothing in life is free and this boat will need a complete rehab including fixing a few holes in the side where it got crushed between a break-away dock and rocks. Today I was given a free 1990 Evinrude Tracker 70 which "ran great when I took it off the boat". I expect this will need some work as well.

What do people do for working on large outboards when they aren't on a boat? This engine is supposed to weigh around 250 pounds. How do you move an engine like that around or test run it? I have a hoist in the barn to get the engine off the truck, and hopefully, down the road, onto the Whaler.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Jim"

"Jim:

where are you finding

"Jim:

where are you finding all of thtese 'free' deals; i'm never around when that stuff happens.

Regarding the lifting; most outboard have an internal thread in the flywheel's bore for the crankshaft nose. there maybe a rubber/plastic cap covering it. Some versions bolt to the flywheel. Either way, once the eye is on, either an engine hoist or overhead is used to elevate the motor.

There's also the "armstrong" or "buddy system" - not as safe as the eye method but will get the job done.

The standard practice in a shop is to use an engine stand; the better one have casters to permit mmoving the engine around. You may be able to rent one from a shop this time of year...they may just sell it outright. Same for the eye, too. you could also check ebay or craigslist.

If you are handy doing woodworking, you could build a stand. I have seen a few that I would say were adequate - they just weren't mobile. The trick to getting it to work well is to have the "interface" piece at the same slope as a boat's transom.

good luck & welcome!"

"Thanks for the tip about the

"Thanks for the tip about the lifting hole in the flywheel. I'll see if I can come up with an eye to fit. I've come across a wood stand design which is supposed to hold up to an 85hp motor. I'll give that a try.

The freebies come from a combination of wandering around asking questions and being in the right spot at the right time. The boat was sitting derelict in the weeds at the back of the marina where our boat is. The owner wanted the boat gone so he could use the trailer. My wife works at the same marina. An ex-employee who is moving to New Zealand came in and wanted to know if anybody wanted an engine. Now we're waiting for somebody to launch a boat and not want the trailer anymore.

Jim"

"I'm not sure of the etiqu

"I'm not sure of the etiquette in this situation. Since the plans aren't mine I don't feel like I can post them directly. And since the plans are posted on another forum site, I don't want to tick off the moderators by cross-linking to a different site. However, since these plans would probably be very useful to others, which is what these forums are all about, I picked the lesser of two evils.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=266570"

"Thanks, Jim. Looking at thes

"Thanks, Jim. Looking at these plans, I have already seen something that I would have forgotten....that is to make it wide enough to get my 55 gal drum in between the legs.
I have a larger engine, 200 HP V6 Evinrude, so I will beef up the basic plan here with 4x4s, etc.
Probably use pressure treated wood also, since it will be wet at times.
Thanks again."

Back