Logo

1978 SIVERTON TWIN 318

ernman

I'M LOOKING AT THIS BOAT D

I'M LOOKING AT THIS BOAT DOES EITHER MOTOR ROTATE REVERSE AND IF SO WOULD IT BE STARBOARD OR PORT THERE FRESH WATER COOLED THE PORT WAS REPLACED THE STARBOARD IS ORIGINAL AND HAS A REAR MAIN LEAK DO I FIX LEAK OR JUST PLAN ON REPLACING MOTOR WHILE OUT THANKS

"Port is the "normal"

"Port is the "normal" rotator; starboard is the reverse rotator UNLESS it's done in the trans in your case. You need to check. Easiest way to do that is crank them over on the starter and see which way the pulleys turn.

Rear main leaks--IF that is where the oil is coming from--always require a rip down to fix, First, though, be damn sure the oil isn't a simple leak at the oil pressure fitting(s) near the distributor.

Jeff

PS: A word to the wise: Let up on that Cap Key. Using all caps is called "shouting and is considered rude."

"thanks jeff i will take a clo

"thanks jeff i will take a close look at that i'm looking at this boat saturday any other suggestions to look at while i,m there like stringers,shaft, seals thanks for the heads up on caps i never knew that thanks again"

"No pro-blamo!

Poke at anyt

"No pro-blamo!

Poke at anything containing wood inside fiberglass with a screw driver, and run away if it feels soft.

Jeff"

"I would plan on replacing the

"I would plan on replacing the exhaust elbows and risers (probably manifolds also if RWC). It wsounds like an engine survey is in order (may pay for itself several times over). I wish that I had done so

Look very closely at the windows! They are known to leak and cause severe hidden damage to the structural wood behind the wood interior panneling. Lift up the carpet in several places below the windows and look for water damage. Also look closely at the bow pulpit if it is wood inside fiberglass. Pay special attention to the front deck coring around anchors and bow pulpit. Look for stress cracks in the fiberglass in these areas. If the core rots......big trouble.

I like the Silvertons,just know that a boat of that age can have hidden problems.

Good luck!"

thanks Ed & Jeff this site

thanks Ed & Jeff this site is great fast response !! nice people i'll post what i find when i get back
Ernie

"I am probably late to chime i

"I am probably late to chime in, however... I purchased a 1977 31' Silverton Sedan last February. As stated by Captain Ed double check fiberglass/core around the windows. Especially the aft window corners in the head and galley.

PM me if you want/need more info re: Silverton."

"here's the heads up on th

"here's the heads up on this boat it had alot of cracks on top deck and port side and the rear stringer that went from port to starboard looked like it was replaced i think it's age was showing but it was a good looking boat but i didn't want to get in over my head, but thanks to all for the advise
Ernie"

Back