Logo

115tldi tohatsu

bayskout

"should water be exiting via t

"should water be exiting via the exhuast port as well as the water check port?
is it normal for it to occasionally smoke out of the exhuast port?

on my 115tldi i have only noticed water coming out of the water check port when in the water or flushing outboard with earmuffs, but have noticed other brands outboards where water comes out of both exhuast port and water check port.

thanks"

""should water be exiting

""should water be exiting via the exhuast port as well as the water check port?" Yes

"is it normal for it to occasionally smoke out of the exhuast port?" Not really.

My 115 TLDI has water coming out through the prop, the motor leg exhaust port and the pee tube in the water and on the hose. It sounds like you do not have a good seal on your muffs when you are running it on the hose."

"thanks for quick response!

"thanks for quick response!

i do not have a good seal on my muffs, need to replace.

but when outboard is in water and there is no water exiting via exhaust port, only water coming out of pee tube but there is no warning light. i always thought that as long as pee tube is shooting water its all good, but i sure don't want to damage my outboard.

what would cause water to only exit via pee tube and not exhaust port?"

""what would cause water t

""what would cause water to only exit via pee tube and not exhaust port?" Nothing

But, keep in mind that virtually all the water is exiting through the propeller. Very little water actually comes out at the leg exhaust port. Often you will only see a mist as the engines exhaust pressure pushes it further down. And, the faster the engines RPM the less water you will see at the leg. The only time I see even a minor stream is at an idle. I would not be worried at this point. But, don't run your engine off the muffs until you get them to seal tightly."

There must be a pressure relie

There must be a pressure relief valve on this motor as with most others. To dump off excess water from the block at higher rpms. This spring loaded valve will open with higher water pressure and dump off out the exhaust port you mention. They get salt build up and can stick. Locate it and check that it is working properly

"No, there is no pressure reli

"No, there is no pressure relief valve on this engine. Exhaust pressure alone controls where and how much water flows....It's that way on all Tohatsu/Nissan outboards. It's one less thing to go wrong and it is completely unnecessary if the engine is designed properly."

Sounds like the exhaust has to

Sounds like the exhaust has to do all the work then. Not sure I like added backpressure. More engines live shortened lives because they spend to much time to low in the water. The increased backpressure causes carbon and oil build up on the lower pistons. Stuck rings equals broken rings equals gernaded engine.

""Sounds like the exhaust

""Sounds like the exhaust has to do all the work then. Not sure I like added backpressure. More engines live shortened lives because they spend to much time to low in the water. The increased backpressure causes carbon and oil build up on the lower pistons. Stuck rings equals broken rings equals gernaded engine."

Again, if the engine is designed properly(and Tohatsu's are)it's not a problem...It's a benefit. The only time excess exhaust pressure causes the problems you described are on engines that do have exhaust relief valves that don't work. IE Take a big Mercury, jam the exhaust relief, and you can get build up. Tohatsu choose reliability in their design rather than the slight performance enhancement provided by an exhaust relief system....Having seen both in action, I prefer Tohatsu's approach because I don't care about the 1/2 of 1 % power advantage that the relief would provide. Instead, I prefer not having one out of 20 engines have a relief valve system failure in their lifetime. It's all about what people value most in an outboard."

"Hmm, back out 2 screws check

"Hmm, back out 2 screws check the valve and reasemble, way too much maintenance for the extra power! Put the blame where it belongs, lack of maintenance with many owners, not design. That is a 5 minute annual job which is on my list of things to check each spring. So is backing out all important bolts 1 at a time (powerhead mount bolts, gearcase etc) and treating with never seize. When I do need to take something apart the job isn't made miserable by having to heat up every bolt or the frustation of snapping one off."

"I hear you[img][/img] Tohatsu

"I hear you
Tohatsu designs for the third world market and assumes that "maintenance" will be minimal if done at all. It's just a different approach in design."

Back