Logo

How can you tell itbs January

galamb

Silver Medal Contributor
"Well, aside from the fact tha

"Well, aside from the fact that the boat shows are getting in full swing (just spent two days at the Toronto International show seeing the latest/greatest and talking to the reps),,,,

You need only go as far as your local dealer to tell it's January.

One that I deal with for Merc parts has just replaced the sign above the service desk.

It now reads "WE WILL NO LONGER SERVICE OUTBOARDS BUILT BEFORE 1994 - thank you for your patronage"

I guess that just gave me a few hundred new potential customers and ensured this website will last a while longer
"

"As you say graham , it may ha

"As you say graham , it may have done you a favour, what a way to run a business though. so if i had been a long standing customer of his or i have two motors one new and one pre 1994 would he turn me away??? he would have to be a silly man. just does not make good business sense, not to mention customer relations."

"Well, when you figure that th

"Well, when you figure that the majority of "marine techs" were still in public school in 1994, can't remember a time when there was no cable, cd's or music video's - and outboards were "always" hooked to a computer for troubleshooting, it's not overly surprising.

I was talking to an OMC/BRP rep at the boat show and he was trying to convince me of why I should replace my 1986 140 with a new 130 or 150 ETEC.

His reasons included "better for the environment" - True - and would get me about 30-40% better (gas mileage) - maybe True - but maybe a little generous, I've seen alot of independant test numbers and the new motors are just not that much more efficient - partially because of more weight per horse compared to the older ones.

But for the sake of arguement, say they are. My 20+ year old 140 burns about 6 gph at cruise (confirmed). So if I do 100 hours a year (more than the average "weekend" boater) my old motor would burn 600 gallons, the new 400 gallons - a reasonable savings. At 3 bucks a gallon, that's 600 bucks less a year.

But the new motor lists at $12,500. It will take 24 years to break even. And 9 years before it reaches the "break even" point, service will no longer be available (because most shops won't work on motors more than 15 years old or they are worth "zero" in trade).

Additionally, I would need software to troubleshoot it myself, need new controls or at least a conversion kit and replacing an injector or parts on a fuel rail is far more expensive than a carb kit.

He also said my current motor is worth nothing and they would not be interested in taking it in trade (not surprised - I'm not sure he was even walking in 1986).

Well, I have just "reconditioned" it - new rings, bearings, seals, gaskets, carb kits and lower unit seals - for less than 400 bucks (amortize that over 22 years since it was new). The motor is worth $12,500 to me now and will most likely outlast that 2009 ETEC sitting in the showroom.

I guess my entire point is - we live in a disposable society. The attitude is "why fix what you can throw away and replace with something new". If you need a new motor, absolutely go for it - but if your old can be fixed and you are not running on lakes that ban "old 2 strokes", don't get caught up in the "hype".

So at least for now, for me, I'll keep my tools in the garage and leave the computer in the den where it belongs and keep my "old girls" running - and keep that $12,500 in the bank - even if the current interest rate sucks and burn a little more gas
"

"you should have been a polati

"you should have been a polatician Graham.
do not know a lot about the boating world im quite new to it, however i have been arround motorcycle engines for 30 years.

I have a suzuki GSX 1400 road bike, and as you rightly say, all electronic,anything goes wrong and it is a dealer hook up to computer job, and is also disposable.

However I and my son also have 2 superb KTM 2 stroke off road bikes which we race.. a few years ago motocross professional riders changed to 4 strokes ( european laws on emissions) so all the public sheep followed (not me) now KTM have produced a low emission 2 stroke engine, hey guess what, everyone is changing back now.
you can stick your modern dealer only repair 4 stroke, give me a 2 stroke anytime. and your right everybody selling nowadays is not old enough to know any different.
I am about to strip my old mercury down ( first outboard i have ever worked on) and i am looking foward to the challenge.This decission is made a lot easier, knowing there are people like you and sites like this where i can ask for help. thanks again Graham and take care.
Regards Gordon"

wow!

i touched an 1989 forc

wow!

i touched an 1989 force 115hp yesterday
charged him 250 for carb rebuild and parts

runs like a dream now!

"Richard, you can put up a sig

"Richard, you can put up a sign in your shop "mechanic for ANCIENT motors"
"

Back