Logo

Volvo 57gsi TBI ice

garryuk

"I recently installed a Volvo

"I recently installed a Volvo 5.7gsi in my Bayliner 2556 and have run the boat for the past year with no problems. I live in the UK and have left the boat in the water over winter for fishing, last week in temp. of -6 I had no problems, however on sunday in temp. of -2 the engine would not idle correctly and I noticed the throttle body has iced up. Is this a common problem and is a solution available.

Any help would be appreciated."

"Garry,

I've only seen

"Garry,

I've only seen that on cars in unique weather conditions. Solved by diverting warmer air into the intake stream. Very cold foggy day? Engines coming up to temperature as they should?

Not sure you can do much about it on a boat. It should be warm enough under the engine cover to avoid icing."

"I agree with Bob,,first thing

"I agree with Bob,,first thing to check is the thermostat...Thermostat should keep your 5.7 running without much icing...You may look into putting in a hotter one for the winter months......."

"Thank you for the info guys,

"Thank you for the info guys, does not appear to be a problem with the thermostate once the engine comes up to temperature all is ok. Icing is only a problem from start up, once the fuel starts to flow the injector body ices on the outside similar to a propane cylinder being used in cold weather, as the engine temperature increases the icing stops."

"No "fix" for that...i

"No "fix" for that...it's basic physics. As fuel is vaporized within the throttle body it "takes" heat from the surrounding area causing the throttle body to get colder and therby "freezing" the moisture in the air...i.e., icing. It's not as much a problem with carbs as the additional mass of the larger carb plus the mass of the fuel in the carb bowl, generally reduces the effect to the point that no visible ice forms."

"Cant argue with Robert, I sta

"Cant argue with Robert, I started the engine from cold (0 deg air temp), I noticed a smell of gas after a couple of minuets and found neat gas flowing out of the flame arrester. After shutting the engine down and cleaning up the spillage I restarted the engine with the flame arrestor removed. As the engine idled ice formed around the edge of the throttle butterfly effectivly sealing the chamber which then filled with gas and overflowed onto the engine (not good), running the engine at fast idle until warmed would appear to be the answer which opens the butterfly gap further and allows the gas to flow.I would assume the actual icing is caused by water in the fuel, would a fuel pre filter/ water seperator help."

"The icing is not caused by wa

"The icing is not caused by water in the fuel, it is moisture in the air which is freezing as Robert stated in his post.

Bill"

Back