Logo

Newly acquired 360 oil filter housing question

"In September we bought a 25&#

"In September we bought a 25' Luhrs with a 360 Chrysler, with a v-drive, and it seems to be a strong runner. When the engine is running, it weeps oil at the filter - not where the filter itself threads on, but where the fitting threads into the block. This unit has sort of an elbow that points the oil filter up - could this have been an aftermarket addition to make filter changes easier, and do you suppose there's a bad o-ring where the unit threads in? Thank you for any input."

"It's an adapter all right

"It's an adapter all right. (Had the same problem with the engine in my old RV--it would loosen up every year or so and start leaking again.) Remove the adapter and replace whatever seal is there. Better still, try to eliminate it altogether if you can.

Jeff"

jeff how about oil filter relo

jeff how about oil filter relocation kits for these filter on the port side is a pain to reach
would the auto kits work just wondering

"Thanks for the advice Jeff. I

"Thanks for the advice Jeff. If it means fewer worries then I'm all for eliminating the adaptor altogether. What would I call that part - an oil filter base, or some such?

I had wondered about those remote filter adaptors too, that Russell and Fred mentioned. Are they worthwile, or just asking for more headaches?"

"Your going to <font color=""a

"Your going to <font color=""aa00aa"">love</font> this Charlie.
Right from Mopar Performance.

description :Mopar Performance Replacement Oil Filter Adapter Gaskets Gasket - Oil Filter Adapter - Mopar Right Angle Oil Filters
Brand: Mopar Performance
Mfr Part #: 5249320
link :http://www.streetperformance.com/part/mopar-performance/oil-filter-adapter/68722 0-5249320.html

description :Mopar Performance Parts Right Angle Oil Filter Adapter Kits
Brand: Mopar Performance
Mfr Part #: 5249624
link :http://www.streetperformance.com/part/mopar-performance/oil-filter-adapter/68729 7-5249624.html

Go down to your local Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge or DeSota dealership & order them at the parts counter.

or

Here's a Single Filter Oil Relocation Kit by Trans Dapt at NAPA, item # 1113 on page 44 at the bottom right.http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/northern-auto-parts-648/issue-88-16334/page-46-fullsize.html

Fred 156-M"

"I have a problem with those r

"I have a problem with those relocation kits--and I know people use them successfully. Too much chance of a leak in all those connections and hoses.

The "normal" oil filter screws right to the block. If you remove the adapter, you'll see what I mean.

Jeff"

"I know what your saying Jeff.

"I know what your saying Jeff. Then just remove the threaded (filter mount) nipple, from the adapter, &n install it into the engine block to thread the filter on to.

But there are thousands of those remote filter mounts out there with very little problems.
Mine actuality has a double filters setup Charlie.

Fred 156-M"

"Thank you both for the info.

"Thank you both for the info. I have a fair amount of room on both sides of the engine, so the accessibility of the original oil filter placement shouldn't be a problem. I think for now that I'll take out the adapter and go back to the straight arrangment.
While I have you both, though, and I know this has been tossed about quite a bit, but what engine oil would be best? I'm a rigger at a boatyard, and at one of the mechanics' recommendation I put SAE 30 in last fall when I decommissioned the boat, but when I read some of the posts here, like yours Jeff, I wondered whether that was a good idea."

"straight 30 weight is fine fo

"straight 30 weight is fine for the off season, but I would put something a little heavier in for the summer, I run 15/40 in my 318's, & change it half way through the season ( oils cheap ), it usually runs around 60 psi at 3000 rpm/ 150 degrees.
I also run the filter relocation kits,no problems, but I can see where Jeff is coming from, lots of joints that can fail"

"I'd go for the 10w-40 or

"I'd go for the 10w-40 or 15w-40...and actually, (I'm a little embarrassed to say)(It's not a sales pitch & I don't get any commission, its just that I've herd some great things about this oil, & only one person that I've talked to thought that his truck seemed to use more oil between oil changes) I feel that I'm pampering my engine a little further by using "a blend of 100% pure parraffin base oils PLUS the finest PAO synthetic base stocks with the best synthetic base stocks" their quote not mine.
I use Schaffer's synthetic blend oil, the SUPREME 7000 15w-40 made especially for diesel semi tractors, but the weight fits my needs for my gas engines too. Better fuel econ.?? I think so! Less engine wear??? I hear so!
http://www.schaefferoil.com/supreme_7000.html Last time I called the factory's 800 # & had it shipped directly to me. (it was free shipping for an order over $300.00, I don't know now.)
Just my 3 cents worth. Sorry, I'll get down from my soap box now.
Oh ya, I think that it was $12 or $13 a gal. last time, 6 gal. in a case. And its <font color=""119911"">Green</font>.

Fred 156-M"

"One of the great automotive a

"One of the great automotive advances of the 20th Century was multi-viscosity oils: Thin when you fire up (to get the oil to the bearings quicker and ease the strain on the oil pump gears), then automatically thickening as the motor warms up (to maintain proper oil pressure). A miracle of modern chemistry! So why on earth would anyone go back to 1930s straight weight oil technology? Not me.

One more point: With modern oils and engines, you need less than 10 psi oil pressure per 1,000 rpms--some experts say only 5 psi per 1,000 is needed. Therefore, running a motor with 80 psi oil pressure at 3,000 rpms beats the hell out of the oil pump and its drive mechanism. My engines easily maintain 40 plus psi at cruising rpm (2,500) so I use 10W30.

Jeff"

"Thank you both for your input

"Thank you both for your input. Looks like it's 10W30 for me this spring - good to know those figures about oil pressure, Jeff, thanks."

"I added half a quart of Lucas

"I added half a quart of Lucas ZDDP additive to each engine (per their recommendation) with the latest oil change. Not sure if it's really necessary, but why take a chance?

Jeff"

"Jeff
Is that the TB Zinc Plu

"Jeff
Is that the TB Zinc Plus #10063 ?
I did a search on the Lucus site, & found no results for ZDDP."

"Why take the chance is right.

"Why take the chance is right. There are plenty of top quality diesel oils available and they're usually cheaper too. The same could be said for ethanol too, although I've never had a problem I found a station that only sells non-ethanol gas and now that's all I use but that's for another post."

hi.. chrysler 318 here...1981.

hi.. chrysler 318 here...1981... manual states: use straight 30 weight...??????? Mike... '81 Penn Yan...

"Crusader also recommends &#40

"Crusader also recommends (recommended?) straight weight oil, for reasons unknown. Perhaps they have always had good luck with it or... Either way, multi-vis oils are vastly superior.

We have a gas station locally that also claims to sell non-ethanol poisoned gas. Where they can get this stuff is a mystery, unless it's really old gas (with MBTE in it) that's no longer made. If so, it has to be years old.

Jeff"

Well Chrysler manuals are from

Well Chrysler manuals are from the 70's and a lot has changed since then although Four Winns recommended 30W as late as the late 80's. I guess for summer use they don't consider cold starts a problem

I hope this gas isn't that old but it's not the first station I heard of selling it. I didn't think it was even legal to sell gas that didn't conform to some state law. All they claim is that it's a 'top tier gas' and there is a web site by that name that list's station who sell 'top tier' gas but they don't reference ethanol content so they are probably two different things.

"As the late Jimmy Durante use

"As the late Jimmy Durante used to say, "It's a puzzlement!" The emissions laws require some kind of oxygenate, be it MBTE or ethanol, so...
You got me.

I'd ask the local guy at the station what's happeniong, but you know how it is with those "shelf replenishment engineers"?

Jeff"

Back