Logo

How to do I set the timing on 91 454 w Delco EST Dizy

rswendsen

"My 1991 Wellcraft 3300 Costal

"My 1991 Wellcraft 3300 Costal has a pair of 454’s in it. It runs OK but I want to check the timing and can’t make sense of the factory book. Without unplugging any connectors or jumping wires this is what I see: ( I may be wrong on the direction of rotation and I can't seem to paste in the drawing of the timing mark and teeth I made)

PORT ENGINE ~ timing mark about 1.5 inches before the start of the teeth or ~ 25 deg BTDC

Starboard Engine ~ timing mark about .75 inches before the start of the teeth or ~ 15 deg BTDC

The Crusader service manual tells me to change the timing plug to “TIME” position before I adjust the timing mark to 10 deg BTDC. This is the part I really don’t understand. It looks to me like without the timing plugs changed I’m at ~ 20 to 25 deg BTDC.

The engine starts and runs fine but not knowing that the timing is set correct, so I can adjust the mixture and idle bothers me. The timing mark does advance toward the teeth when I rev the engine."

"The timing plug in the "t

"The timing plug in the "time" position disables the electronic advance. Should be 10 Degree BTDC in this position. In the "run" plug position, it should allow 28 to 30 deg BTDC, but you will need a degreed dampener or advance timing light to measure that."

"[b]"The Crusader service

""The Crusader service manual tells me to change the timing plug to “TIME” position before I adjust the timing mark to 10 deg BTDC."

Ayuh,...

If you Don't follow the steps Required to properly Time the motor,...
You're Wasting your time....

It's Electronically timed when in the Run mode,+ is constantly retiming itself....

It's either, Do it Right, or Leave it Alone...."

What I don't understand is

What I don't understand is how to set up the TIME position?

Do I Flip over the single wire plug that is on the left side of the dizzy looking forward?? The diagram in the book looks like I plug it into another commector....

"i believe you just flip it ov

"i believe you just flip it over. I'm thinking the flat, 2 pole, connector. Only half of the connector has a wire, correct?

When the brown wire is lined up to the purple/white wire, the advance is disabled. "

"Dave is correct. Just pull th

"Dave is correct. Just pull the plug and re-insert it in the flipped position. As mentioned, you can now effortlessly get the timing set. JUST DON'T forget to set the plug back to the RUN side when you are finished.

If that happens, you will be running poorly, popping occasionally, not really getting the best performance out of your engine. HOW do I know this?....
uhoh.gif
THEN one day you will go to recheck the timing and discover the mistake. Suddenly your boat will run great. Maybe even the fastest speeds developed since the hull was molded. Worst is, I knew all about it but just FORGOT.. Such a dumb mistake makes you feel really well...you know ...Yup, don't ask how I know this"

Back