Logo

Scary Carb Discovery

ezuskin

Contributing Member
"I have 1975 440B 330hp motors

"I have 1975 440B 330hp motors with Carter AFB carbs. I replaced the Carter carbs shortly after buying the boat last year as I had read good things about replacing Carters with Edelbrocks. I was cleaning out some stuff and decided to call some carb rebuilders to see if they would pay anything for theses cores. I read the model stamped on the carb(4613) and he told me that was a 1969 model for 383 V8, definitely not marine. Yikes! Glad I changed them out.
Eddie"

"That would not necessarily ha

"That would not necessarily have been a problem. Unlike EFI, carbs adjust to the motor they are bolted to. But good for you in getting rid of those old clunkers! Better mileage, and the Edelbrocks don't have the dreaded bog and backfire condition that came from the factory with AFBs.

Jeff"

Has anyone bolted Edelbrock 14

Has anyone bolted Edelbrock 1410's to a Chrysler 440? Do you need to change the jets or are they "plug N Play"?

"I had to slightly enrichen on

"I had to slightly enrichen one of the Edelbrocks on mine, but usually they need no such action. Ran most of the summer with the factory jetting.

Jeff

PS: I'm anal!"

"Hi Jeff,

How did you deter

"Hi Jeff,

How did you determine that the carb was lean? Was the spark plugs white or overly tan/burnt?"

Plugs were stark white and had

Plugs were stark white and had tiny specks of aluminum on the tips (per my buddy with his microscopic eyepiece). Yikes! I know where they came from and richened the carb a step. Plugs were then a slightly tan.

Note: I had already eliminated timing and vacuum leaks as the reason.

Jeff

I have a Paragon PV32R V Drive

I have a Paragon PV32R V Drive that now has a serious oil leak from the top of the control valve. I have an exploded view that shows an O ring on the control valve cylinder. Can anyone tell me how the control valve can be removed so this O ring can be replaced? When the control handle is removed the control valve can be pushed down about 3/4" but it cannot be lifted out. Thanks for any advise.
George

Back