Logo

Water in cylinder

"The 4 slotted passages are th

"The 4 slotted passages are the cooling section of the Manifold (isolated from the exhaust section).

If you have fresh water cooled manifolds there is a block off plate installed before my elbows (I don't have risers).
If the manifolds are raw water cooled, there is a 2 hole gasket used (1 large middle hole for the exhaust + 1 slotted hole, positioned at the top, for the raw cooling water to flow out into the elbows.

see items 8, 14, & 17 at the link below, and read the "Tech tips page"

http://www.marineparts.com/osco/osco20.aspx"

"The 1/8 inch NPT drain is jus

"The 1/8 inch NPT drain is just that--any coolant leak comes out that hole. I colored the water blue and stuffed a white paper towel in that hole. Any blue on it meant trouble! Held to 15 psig without a problem, so I bolted it up.

Jeff"

"Very good idea for checking t

"Very good idea for checking the manifolds FastJeff, I like that, very neat setup.

Russell, if you need manifolds or elbows let me know we have them available.

David"

"Agreed, Russell. But if you

"Agreed, Russell. But if you have one(s) that are not all that old, and they're suspect, here's how to find out.

And if you've got one of those God-awful "swivel" risers (as shown in the photo), then new ones can leak if the O-rings didn't seat just right. This was the case here: it sealed great for a few months, then filled the end cylinder with water after sitting a while. I marked the position of the two parts before removing it, then epoxied the whole mes together. I then tested it BEFORE puting it all back together.

Jeff"

"Starboard engine and drive ou

"Starboard engine and drive out things are looking up bilge area clean,Anyone no where to get a bendex spring for the starters...thanks"

"Try the NAPA auto parts store

"Try the NAPA auto parts store.

I just ordered a set of brushes for a starter off of a 10 hp Kohler air compressor engine. (3 sets in stock at the main warehouse, ((out of state)). In 3 days they will be at my local parts store & they will call me when there in.
I've also gotten Chrysler alt. brush sets there.

Fred 156-M"

"Jeff,
You said, "With lo

"Jeff,
You said, "With log manifolds, water goes into the last cylinders (# 7 and # 8) only.

I've been working on my 318 for months and still get water in the oil. I could not find anything wrong with anything. Compression checked good and held, temps were good, I just got water in the oil. I finally gave up and started to tear it apart again and found water in the manifold on number 1 cyl. I have a vee drive. I pressure tested the riser similiar to what you've shown and there is an internal crack in the riser. Since my engine is turned backward (V-drive) would you expect to get water in number 1? I hope so because I just ordered another riser!!"

"I...think so. Vee drives are

"I...think so. Vee drives are assbackwards deals.

It's the cylinder closest to the elbow and riser that water drains down into when something leaks. That said, the MANIFOLD can leak water into any cylinder.

Jeff"

"Number one is closest to the

"Number one is closest to the riser. It was the only cyl. with water so MAYBE that's it. I'll know Saturday. If that's not it, there is going to be BIG HEADLINES in the local paper. Boatmotor seen flying through the air."

"Took pistons out today as I s

"Took pistons out today as I said the motor looked great rings were stuck inside piston got them soaking in kero well see if that works out first I think Its going to though
smile.gif
"

"This got me thinking. I repla

"This got me thinking. I replaced all of my manifolds,elbows, and risers on my Chrysler 440s. I had no block off plate between the manifold and riser....only a gasket. It seems like there should have been more than just a gasket? I also took note of the zinc question. I don't have any zincs in there either? Suggestions?"

Agreed. I've seen stainle

Agreed. I've seen stainless back up plates used there. Would be a really good idea to make one up.

Jeff

"My raw water cooled 360 has w

"My raw water cooled 360 has water in no. 7 cylinder but none in oil. Lots of white smoke, won't exceed 3000 rpm. All cyl's have compression between 115-125psi. No. 7 has 150psi. Took off risers & elbows from right side of engine (odd no. cyl's) and turned engine over w/ coil unplugged of course. No 7 spit water. There is some rust around where the head meets the block just past no 7. I am guessing blown head gasket since no. 7 spits water w/ riser and elbow removed. Unsure though because its' compression is high. What do you think FastJeff and others?"

"My guess is bad manifolds and

"My guess is bad manifolds and or risers. when they rot out from the inside, water seeps back down and into the cylinder(s) near the failure when you shut down. The smoke is probably steam coming from the exhaust. When the rust flakes, and crud accumulate and block off the various water passages in there, the water can't flow out fast enough, it then gets super hot, and starts to boil in the manifolds, thus the steam. I had the same thing happen to me last summer. I doubt its a blown head gasket or you would likely get really severe overheating and boil over. If you narrow it down to the exhaust, replace both sides, and use the stainless mounting kit, it will save headaches down the road if you have to remove them. Also how old are the manifolds and risers? They have a life of about 5 yrs. If they are older than that , they are a good culprit, and probably need changing anyway. Well hope that helps."

"Russel is spot on. Either th

"Russel is spot on. Either the riser/ elbow is leaking, or the manifold.

Is that one of those God awful swivel riser deals? (There's a photo of a swivel joint riser above.) If so, it may be leaking water at the Micky Mouse O-ring joint. I have a cheap, sure fire solution to your problem if you have one of these.

Jeff"

Back