Logo

Water in cylinder

rustymich

Regular Contributor
"One of my engines had water i

"One of my engines had water in a cylinder,and turned tight at startup removed plugs blown water out,put oil in the intake to and turned it over with all plugs out installed new plugs and it started and ran fine 40psi at idle 120-150 psi on all cylinders fresh water cooled manifolds look rusty on the outside should I replaced the manifolds because they look rusty mostly on the end plates what do you guys think..just to give a history just bought this boat starboard engine in question next weekend going to run this engine under the hose for a while just wondering if I should replace the manifolds or what new to inboard boat engines thanks....also motor was sitting for at least two years without being run they were moist on the outside when viewed at first the carb was so bad it was corroded shut replaced with a new 1409 after cleaning up manifold"

Probably you have a leaky rise

Probably you have a leaky riser that allowed water to run down into a cylinder.

Which cylinder had water in it?

Jeff

do you think I should replace

do you think I should replace manifolds and risers are the risers the part that is connected to the output of the manifolds??

fastjeff found risers online a

fastjeff found risers online almost positive I only have manifold and manifold elbow I layed on theses engines a while and dont remember seeing those

"Only if you have center rise

"Only if you have center rise manifold can water get into number 3 from a leaky riser. With log manifolds, water goes into the last cylinders (# 7 and # 8) only.

Which type do you have?

Jeff"

If you look at the items 1 and

If you look at the items 1 and 4 under chrysler engine parts up top thats whats on the engines not sure which there called Im going to take some picks this weekend what are you doing want to go for a ride..just kidding

"Both types of manifolds shown

"Both types of manifolds shown:

Which one is yours?

Jeff

247757.jpg
"

Its more like the log style bu

Its more like the log style but doesnt come out like that the manifold looks the same but using the #4 18-1946 exhaust elbow out the back to the mufflers

"The elbow style doesn't m

"The elbow style doesn't matter.

Looking back over your original post, I don't see if you have raw water or fresh water cooling. If you have raw water cooling, then the manifold may be leaking water into that cylinder--had that happen to me last year.

If you have fresh water cooling AND the coolant goes through the manifold (common), then you might have a blow head gasket.

Let me know which it is.

Jeff"

"There fresh water cooled,no q

"There fresh water cooled,no question from you is dumb your helping thanks for that I think Im going to run it a little then recheck compression Ill get some pics of the cooling system boat 3.5 hours away working on it during weekends.."

They wish they used stainless

They wish they used stainless plugs havent got down to tear into mine yet this weekend last week was snow everywhere..

"Know what you mean. We have

"Know what you mean. We have several inches of that white crap on the ground, with more coming, and 0 degree weather forecasted for the weekend.

Ah, summer...And not just for boating.

Jeff"

"Well guys on boat now ran eng

"Well guys on boat now ran engine today to warm up a little before compression test all was above 100 till I hit #5 which was only 50 pounds what would you guys do with this rip it out \for replacement longblock or check for head gasket and replace manifolds I really want this to work it was 10degrees last night 80 onboard....the sad thing is its sounds great doesnt miss a beat running the manifold is the log style with each end plate open with hose exit is the 20 degree elbow....
thumbs_up.gif

thumbs_down.gif
snow.gif
"

I'd pull the head on that

I'd pull the head on that side and take a good look at the valves and head gasket. You might get lucky.

Jeff

"Ill do that this follwing wee

"Ill do that this follwing weekend,heading home wish me luck..next weekend,thanks for all your help.....
uhoh.gif
"

"Best thing to do is a leak do

"Best thing to do is a leak down test. Put compressed air through spark plug hole and see where it goes. You will need the valves closed for the test. Unbolt the rocker shaft to make sure the valves are closed. When you oiled the cylinders before the first compression test you may have masked leaking rings. If you squirt oil through the spark plug hole in the cylinder with low compression and the compression tests near normal, rings are bad."

Should the intake/manifolds be

Should the intake/manifolds be off to check for leaks at the intake/exhaust ports-Ill try this first but bring a cheap gasket set in case I need to remove head and see if the gaskets blown
will regular auto gasket kit work fine or exhaust should I use cooper head/exhaust gaskets or is that waste thanks guys/gals just in case..how often are the zincs in the exhaust manifolds to be replace do you pull and inspect them regular lots of questions really want to get this down..

On freshwater cooled with anti

On freshwater cooled with antifreeze engine you can run automotive head gasket. The exhaust gaskets that are metal on one side and soft material on the other (found in most automotive gasket sets) are junk and should not be used on anything. Most car V8s did not have gaskets on the exhaust manifold from the factory. You will be able to hear an intake valve leak through the carb no problem. A bad leak will send fuel up with the air when you open the throttle. To hear an exhaust leak you will need to open the exhaust somewhere.

"I think Ill just take the int

"I think Ill just take the intake and exhaust manifolds off,and do the test one way or the other Id have to anyways right,Ill use all metal gaskets on reinstall of parts that need it,plus I can take the manifolds and valve covers home clean,inspect and paint thanks to all...."

"Well got to taking down the s

"Well got to taking down the starboard,after taking covers,heads and manifold off looked like new in there cylinder walls still had very visible cross hatching didnt see a thing wrong with the head gasket I think water got in a froze the rings on cylinder 5,even heads looked great to be safe Im pulling the engine and checking rings dont want to be 20 miles out with iffy engines,jeff looked as water got in 5-7 and 6-8 back cylinders what do you think..there was no sludge at all anywhere on the internals,valve seals soft as well"

Probably leaked in from the el

Probably leaked in from the elbows/ risers. Better pressure check them when you pull everything off. I have a rig for doing this if you need it.

Jeff

Jeff I think Im going to repla

Jeff I think Im going to replace the manifolds and risers there was 1/8"thick scale rust near the exhaust ports would you scrap them..Ill send you pics to review if thats ok with you thanks..

"Stinking exhaust systems! Ha

"Stinking exhaust systems! Had to replace all but a few pieces since I bought our boat, 5 years ago, so I "feel your pain". Nice thing is, 'long as you don't go out in the ocean, that you'll probably never have to do it again! Comforting, eh?

Jeff"

"If I use a blank plate on the

"If I use a blank plate on the other side shouldnt I be able to test it that way,do you no the flow of water it does it just go through the back straight through to the exhaust outlet?Id like to give it a try to see if they did leak"

"It's more complicated tha

"It's more complicated than that. Here's the rig I made up to test elbows and risers. Zoom to the right for the second photo.

Jeff
248541.jpg
248542.jpg
"

"Whats the purpose of the four

"Whats the purpose of the four long open sections at the ends of the manifolds,there sealed off with the gaskets???"

"So Jeff,
By your explanatio

"So Jeff,
By your explanation, the "Open drain here" (pipe plug, right? 1/8 or 1/4?) at the bottom of the 1st picture, is a passage that leads into the now isolated <u>exhaust</u> portion of the elbow & riser assembly. (If I was just looking at them bolted up to an engine, I would of assumed that the Open drain here" would of been a coolant passage drain).

and if air is escaping thru the open drain, that the compressed air is traveling, from the coolant section, to the (isolated) exhaust portion of the assy. = BAD riser or elbow.

Fred-156M"

Back