Logo

Gas Tank leak

mpt

Contributing Member
"I have a 1996 Campion Explore

"I have a 1996 Campion Explorer 622 sport fishing boat. I bought it brand new. I am now having an issue with a tiny gas leak in the built-in aluminum tank.The leak is only a tiny, tiny dribble, but very dangerous as any gas leak can be! It only leaks when I fill the tank all the way. You can see it flowing in a very small dribble as it makes its way out from under the bottom of the tank and into the bilge under the engine. The leak stopped when I drained about 75% of the fuel. My main problem in fixing the leak is that the way the tank was installed in the factory causes very limited access to the tank. (thank you Campion!)You can only access the top back (aft) of the tank that is directly in front of the 4.3 liter V6 engine. All of the fittings(fuel filler hose, vent tube, and gauge sending unit)are fine and are on top of the tank where I can easily access them. Unfortunately the leak is somewhere I can't get to. I can't even see exactly where it originates. It's quite frustrating. Like I mentioned before, It only leaks when the tank is full. I pondered many options in resolving this issue- tank removal (engine must be removed also), cutting up my deck to gain access (Campion did not design access plate on the deck), or cut out a port hole in the front of the tank for access to look for the leak. I wish that I had an easier solution. I did Google gas tank leaks and came across a product that you can pour into the tank to stop leaks. The product is made by Eastwood. I'm considering the easiest, safest and least expensive method. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Marc"

"Don't mess around with gi

"Don't mess around with gimick fixes...the tank has to come out...period! It has to be welded up, and that can only be done out of the boat. You are right about being very dangerous...especially since you have an I/O. I would make use of this bad luck to redesign the deck once the tank is out. A removable section of deck so your not cutting up the deck the next time. Something that would make use of a gasket to seal it, screws and some sika flex to finish. Any fiberglass shop should be able to make something that will match the existing finish on the deck"

Just realized the boat is 12 y

Just realized the boat is 12 years old...forget fixing the tank..your better off having a new one built...using the old one aa a template. have it made out of a heavy guage then factory for longer life.

"Do it right manYou also can g

"Do it right manYou also can go with a Poly tank like I did started out with a soft spot in the deck,to smelling gas,to replacing the whole tank with a new polyproplene tank. I found over 14 holes and corrosion spots on my aluminum tank.Unfortunatley magic sauce is not going to work.With detailed pictures of your deck and tank we can help you with a safer aproach."

Back