Logo

Mercruiser 305 ticking

new_guy

"i have a new (30 hours&#4

"i have a new (30 hours) mercruiser 305 / bravo 3, but it is a model year 2004. it sat at the dealer for two years before i bought it. i can now hear a significant "ticking" that sounds like a lifter to me, but i am no expert. it seems to go away at about 2000 rpm, but that may be because the other noises (water, exhaust, drunk friends) get too loud and drown out the ticking. is this normal? i have had so many "little" problems with this boat, and i don't want to bring it in to the dealer for another week of having it sit in his shop, not being able to use it, for nothing."

Check that you have oil &

Check that you have oil & oil pressure.
If this is a new boat it may need the first oil change if it has not been done.

The valves may need adjusted but this would be very rare.

If this is a fuel injected engine the ticking could be the injectors opening & closing.

The injectors can at times make a ticking sound like a lifter. It depends some on the make and model of the injector how loud this ticking will be but it could be mistaken as lifter noise.

I woud say it is lifter noise.

I woud say it is lifter noise. I had the same problem. You probably have hydrauic lifters that normally wouldn't need adjustment. I tightened / adjusted mine per the mercruiser manual and my 5.7 is back to normal sounds

thank you both. the oil change

thank you both. the oil change has been done. i will check out both suggestions. thanks again.

"careful with the "adjustm

"careful with the "adjustment" recommendation. If you have hydraulic lifters and one is not pumping up (collapsed lifter)... and you adjust out the play, you can ruin the came lobe.

if you know it is a lifter, try an oil change using good oil (i.e. Castrol) If the noise continues, try adding 1 quart of ATF for a few weeks."

"A few years back I had a simi

"A few years back I had a similar noise develop on a 1977 305 Mercruiser model 898 package. Sounded like a bad lifter. It turned out to be a bad exhaust manifold gasket on one cylinder, which was an easy fix. You should be able to use a stethoscope to isolate the sound and make sure.
Good luck."

Back