Logo

Gamefisher 15 hp will run only when pumping tank primer bulb

livejazz

"We have a 15 hp Gamefisher. M

"We have a 15 hp Gamefisher. Model #255 581500. Just got it out of the shop. The shop replaced the spark plugs and motor primer bulb. When we hook it up to our fuel tank, it will run only if we pump the fuel line bulb while it is running. Any ideas what to do? We are hoping it may be something simple so to avoid another $100 shop charge."

"Sounds like the fuel pump dia

"Sounds like the fuel pump diaphram is shot. The fuel pump kit sells at any Merc dealer for under 10 bucks, but if you need a shop to install, ya, you are looking at another 100 bucks..."

"Thanks for the help. I insta

"Thanks for the help. I installed the fuel pump kit. The motor runs longer now, but still dies if I don't pump the tank primer bulb. When I took the fuel pump apart, I took off the two metal pieces and cleaned under and around them. Should there be any type of distance between the end of the metal piece and the flat part of the fuel pump? Is there something else I should be looking for? I ordered a repair manual, but it won't be here til Wednesday or Friday."

"If that help it was probably

"If that help it was probably about half the problem. It's possible you have a minor air leak in there somewhere as well. It sounds like you have the fuel pump back together correctly. It is a very simple design and simply goes "back together".

You should inspect all the connections on the fuel line from tank to the motor and check the fuel line from the motor connector itself to the fuel pump and the one from pump to carb.

Also, if the any of hoses look bad at all, replace them. You can get bulk gas hose from any auto parts place by the foot quite reasonably.

One last thing to check is the gas tank vent. Make sure it's open completely and has no "cooties" caught in it - spiders and other bugs like to make homes in there..."

"Next question...When pushing

"Next question...When pushing the priming bulb on the motor, gas squirts out of the top of the carborator from a little brass lined hole that looks like it is suppose to be there. Is this correct or should there be something in this little hole. If gas is squirting out of it, can air be sucked into it? Again, thanks. This appears to be the only place gas is leaking. Cleaned the vent on the gas tank."

"That's an indication that

"That's an indication that the needle valve on the carb float isn't seating properly. Could be as simple as adjusting the float, but more likely in need a disassembly, good cleaning, inspection and replace any worn parts."

Back