Logo

Pulling the engine out of my boat

phatty123

I have a 1972 caravelle with a

I have a 1972 caravelle with a ford 302 in it. I have bought all the parts needed to repair and re align the engine but what is the best way to remove it? I have alot of tools available. Will a standard automotive hoist reach over the back of the boat and lift it? will a forklift be better?

-barry

I don't think you will get

I don't think you will get the boat low enough to pull the engine with an automotive engine hoist. Atleast not the one I have. Pulled my engines with a forklift. You could use a chain hoist if it is mounted securely to a stand or ceiling beam.

it depends on the boat..we hav

it depends on the boat..we have pulled numerous eng's w/a hoist...but also use an A frame for the tall ones.

"If your boat is on a trailer,

"If your boat is on a trailer, you can take the wheels off and use a floor jack to let the trailer down onto blocks of wood to reduce height. I've pulled engines on trailered boats with an automotive engine hoist. You just need to measure it all out."

"Yeah... I would remove the wh

"Yeah... I would remove the wheels and set that trailer down as low as possible and use an engine hoist. Think of getting an engine over the radiator of a full size truck. If you can get the transom down to that height, you're fine. Fork truck makes life easy if you have one though."

"Barry, Last year I yanked the

"Barry, Last year I yanked the 454 out of my 25 Foot Sundancer with a Bobcat. Backed the trailer down a loading dock with the Bobcat on the dock with the forks overhanging the boat. Used a chain hoist connected to the forks. Al W."

"Barry, I have 1 question for

"Barry, I have 1 question for you.

In your picture, is that a bilge pump mounted outside the transom? Isn't this used to remove water from the vessel, not put water in the boat? (Just kidding).

Pretty simple idea if used for a 'live-well' or a 'wash-down'."

The pump on the outside is a l

The pump on the outside is a live well pump. the live well snapped to the back of the boat. It can be used for bait or to hold the fish that I probably wont ctach.

-barry

"Barry;
Curious about the bra

"Barry;
Curious about the bracket you used to hold your 15 HP kicker motor. Can you describe it...it looks home made. Also with this kicker motor so high up and not much is the water ..how is that working for you. I bought a used 25HP merc and was going to attached it to my 24 ft Bayliner cierra, but I am thinking I need an outside bracket to get it lower into the water and enough space for steering...which would be more work."

"I havent used the boat yet, b

"I havent used the boat yet, but the 15hp motor lowers down into the water. It is currently in the up position.

-barry"

I pulled the 470 out of my Cud

I pulled the 470 out of my Cuddy Cruiser with a rental engine hoist. 40 bux a day. I got the largest one they had and it just did the job. I believe it was a ten foot. My boat had higher sides than yours. So I would guess you can use a standard lift. At worst you'd have to prop up the front of the trailer to swing the motor over the rear.

I would have done a forklift but I needed to slowly replace the motor and make sure everything was lining up.

Back