Logo

360 Rebuilds

rustymich

Regular Contributor
"What is different between the

"What is different between the marine 360 and auto,if its fresh water cooled couldnt I build them the same as autos also wondering about reverse rotation rebuilds thanks guys..."

Anyone no of any good diagrams

Anyone no of any good diagrams for the chrysler inboards fresh water and raw so I can study them looking but cant find yet thanks..

"Here you go.

Jeff<[img]"ht

"Here you go.

Jeff
247440.jpg
247441.jpg
"

"Where can I find info on the

"Where can I find info on the difference between standard and reverse rotation engines,has anyone though or done this if you were to have a raw cooling system teein your fresh water tank and ball valve closed while running us as normal when back at dock sense the waters included in slip price close the raw seacock open fresh water and flush engines that should help the engines rather then having seawater in them for a week of longer while at the dock??"

"On a reverse rotator the pump

"On a reverse rotator the pump body is installed the other way around, so it pumps water the right way. That's all.

Jeff"

Got both engines running over

Got both engines running over the weekend compression was 120-150 on varying between cylinders now a good service on the to bring them up to speed when I replaced the one carb with the 1409 there was a rod goning into the intake to the left of the carbattaching to the old carb but no where to go on the new didnt seem to be an issue but does anyone no what its for....also how tough are the borg drive units they both seemed ok shifting

"That rod is for the old bi-me

"That rod is for the old bi-metal spring, that used to pull off the choke on the old cater carb when it heated up, pop the plate of the manifold & remove it completely, the new 1409 has an electric choke, so the rod & its assembly are no longer needed.
I think the 71c trans is rated for about 375 hp, so they'll take anything a 360 can throw at them, just make sure the fulid is clean & pink, & that the level is good."

"Wondering if you have to keep

"Wondering if you have to keep all the push rods in the same spot when pulled on these hydralic heads,valves seems the lifters would take care of that sense there hydralic?thanks"

Used lifters can only be used

Used lifters can only be used on the cam they were broke in on. They must be reinstalled on the same lobe that they were on. This applies to all flat tappet cams and lifters. You can put new lifters on an old cam but never put used lifters on a new cam.

"Correct, and the lifters need

"Correct, and the lifters need to go back in the same position they came out of.

Push rods can be interchanged, though.

Jeff"

"On the 360s when replacing th

"On the 360s when replacing the head gaskets are the front water hoses open or the rear I cant remember from removing them and my book doenst say one way both front holes through to the heads are open the other way the back holes through the heads are open I thought thats the way it was I did a ton of searching to find info online,thanks guys if no-ones sure Ill check the autoparts manual tommorrow.."

"The diagram may be correct an

"The diagram may be correct and is the same as the shop manual. Unfortunately it is overly simplified and doesn't show the position of all the 4 hoses that branch off the back of the heat exchanger to the risers, the transmission cooler to the centrifugal pump and a couple others that don't show in the diagram. I just started working on a diagram yesterday. Let me know if you need something specific.
Eddie"

on your rebuilds did you guys

on your rebuilds did you guys air pressure test your cooling system for leaks prior to running Im finding leaks that way before running the engine???or do you cross your fingers
ps. my luck is not that good

Got the engine done but cant g

Got the engine done but cant get it to fire its electronic two wire prestolite no control module both wire went to coil when taken out and still do ran 12volts to coils and cant any spark any no of a way to test the coil on it/it says 12v this is the starboard engine reverse rotation went down to the boat 7hours round trip just to make sure the distributor wires were in the right spot HELP......ch16

Got the engine done but cant g

Got the engine done but cant get it to fire its electronic two wire prestolite no control module both wires went to coil + and - when taken out and still do ran 12volts to coil and cant any spark anyone no of a way to test the coil on it/it says 12v this is the starboard engine reverse rotation went down to the boat 7hours round trip just to make sure the distributor wires were in the right spot HELP......ch16

Jeff mine doesnt use an igniti

Jeff mine doesnt use an ignition module or ballast resistor let me get some pics on here if I can if there is a module there hidden Ive been all over the engine compartment and nothing this is stomping me...

wouldnt the wire going from th

wouldnt the wire going from the I on the ignition solenoid to coil be straight 12v as well as 12v from the ignition switch to ballast resistor??

"Russell

Re: "<font col

"Russell

Re: "<font color=""ff0000"">wouldnt the wire going from the I on the ignition solenoid to coil be straight 12v..........</font>"

Yes
That's to give the coil full battery voltage, more power (better spark) under the low
voltage (system voltage could drop down to 10.6 volts) circumstance, associated
while the starter is cranking (very high draw) the engine.

In my experience , a coil marked 12 volt does NOT use the external ballast resistor,
unless marked "Use with external resistor". Your Prestolite may use the ing. module
in the distributor as do the GM automotive distributors, BUT I'm not for sure.
One thing for sure, that coil will need 9 - 12 volts, on the + side, on order for your
engine to run.

Fred 156-M"

Fred I think I burnt out the p

Fred I think I burnt out the pickup in the distributor buy putting 12v direct to it including engine ground through alot of research the neg on the coil is neg from dist no earth ground thats what screwed me up your right on this setup it doesnt use a ballast resistor

Back