Logo

TAMD41 Crankcase Breather Filter

rwidman

Contributing Member
"Is there a crankcase breather

"Is there a crankcase breather filter on the TAMD41P and if so, where is it located on the engine and how often should it be changed? What are possible symptoms of not changing it?"

"Yes it should be changed ever

"Yes it should be changed every 200hours or at least once a year.

See your owners manual for details.

download one from HERE if you have mislaid it"

"VicS,

I went down to the b

"VicS,

I went down to the boat and looked for it. Not there. I looked at the manual and it gives instruction for changing it only on the 32 series engines.

I got the serial number from the documentation (2204157556) and went to the above website. it shows that mine is a TAMD41P-A. It was built most likely in 1999 because the boat was delivered to the dealer in October 1999.

I downloaded the instruction book which seems to duplicate the one I got with the boat. Then, their website stopped working so I cannot download the other documents until later.

I did find an orange plastic plug about 1" in diameter near where the crankcase vent was shown on the 32 series. It's loose and I pushed it back in. There are hoses directly above it so it's not like the filter is missing or anything. Any idea about the plug?"

You're right I downloaded

You're right I downloaded what I thought was the manual specifically for the TAMD41P-A saw it listed on the service list for 200hours but did not notice that the subsequent instructions only applied to the 32 series. Other manuals I've looked at from the same list don't mention it

I cant even find a parts list!

Perhaps the plastic plug is merely blanking off where a filter would be fitted on other versions.

That Volvo penta site is a bit cantankerous. If you use your browser back button it wont do a second down load but if you use its own back and new search buttons it seems ok. Took me ages to discover that!

"Well, a friend who is a mecha

"Well, a friend who is a mechanic, but not a diesel mechanic, looked at it and pointed to a small hose from the valve cover to the back (nearest the engine) of the air filter housing as the crankcase breather.

So, I guess crankcase fumes are sucked back into the engine to be burned.

I guess that also explaines a little oil in the housing."

Back