Logo

Evinrude 40 HP oil injection warning system problem

C

Cy Williams

" Sirs:
I am looking for

" Sirs:
I am looking for information in regards to my evinrude 40 HP oil injection warning system. I am a mechanic and have consulted a dealer and am
not receiving the appropriate information in regards to a problem with my engine.

This is a 1994 model.

Have checked the system over and the oil mix is working properly, but, the warning signal still comes on and beeps. The engine does not overheat!
The Dealer says to unplug the wiring harness... This to me is not the answer.

If you can advise me on this I would certainly appreciate the help.

Cy Williams "

" Cy, I have replaced several

" Cy, I have replaced several of the warning horns in the control boxes themselves years ago, for the same problem you are describing. Also had warning horn problem when customer replaced the factory Champion spark plugs with NGK's, which created interference with the VRO (oil injection) pump. Also make sure you have the current VRO pump, it has a purple wire in its harness for power and has a grey "nipple" on top, as the previous oil pumps would send a false signal to the warning horn. Hopefully this helps. Do not "just unplug" the harness as problems could arise in the future when a component does fail. "

" Cy,
Darren's advice is

" Cy,
Darren's advice is excellent and may solve your problem, if not here is some additional information. First I need to know what the warning signal is. A steady beeping indicates a problem with the cooling system or sensor, while an intermittent beep would show a problem with the oiling system-either the sensor in the oil tank or on the VRO pump itself. If it is the intermittent beep, first temporarily disconnect the sensor lead from the VRO pump, to see if the beeping stops. If it stops the alarm, try pumping the oil priming bulb with moderate pressure and reconnect-this may help to remove a possible air bubble in the system. Unfortunately, if the beeping stopped when you disconnected this plug and the priming failed to help you will probably need a new VRO pump at about $225. If the horn continues, try temporarily disconnecting the lead from the oil tank, to see the results. This test will tell if the level sensor in the tank is functioning.
Hopefully I have helped and not confused you!
Tom "

" Cy.... I've read over th

" Cy.... I've read over the previous replys which contain good advice. I'll add a little here which may or may not be helpful, but I'll try. The warning horn that is used today is a plastic type three (3) wire setup, and they have been know to sound off for no other reason than for the horn to be fauilty in itself... however this is not to be taken for granted (Best to trouble shoot the system). A steady sounding beep indicates that the engine is overheating. A beep every twenty (20) seconds indicates that the oil tank is down to approximately 1/4 full and should be refilled. A beep every other second indicates that the VRO pump is failing, or has failed... or that there is a oil restriction, or air in the oil line. If you have the every other second beeping problem, apply a slight pressure to the oil bulb at the tank to see if the beeping stops. If it does, remove the oil line at the engine and pump some oil out to see if there's any air in the line, and at the same time, you'll know if there's a restriction or not. Reconnect the line, apply some pressure to the oil bulb to prime it and restart the engine. If the problem still exists, do as another reply suggests... disconnect the lead going to the oil tank to see if the beep stops... then the heat sensor at the cyl head... then the rubber connector leading to the VRO. This will lead to the problem area. As Daren said... DO NOT simply unplug the VRO to eliminate the beep as that's a good way to destroy your engine. I realize that some of this is repitious of what Daren & Tom had to say but it's hard to avoid it. Get back to us with what you find. (Joe - 30 years with OMC) "

Thank you all for your advice

Thank you all for your advice I will check these things out soon! Cy

WOW! I'm busting my butt

WOW! I'm busting my butt to figure out what is wrong with my 94 40HP Evinrude and I find this! Exactly my problem (I think). Start the engine--water pump is fine--water spewing out the back. 2-3 minutes of high RPMs and I get the one/second and/or the continuous tone. I hope it's not the oil pump. The engine has only ~200 hours on it. It looks brand new. I will try your (all) troubleshooting techniques. Thanks!

Back