Logo

Engine Revs Prop slipping Milky Oil through the impeller Shaft

"I am really hoping I did not

"I am really hoping I did not blow a head gasket. I have twin aq130c & my port engine started reving up and down sort of like a clutch slipping. I think it is the Prop and not sure why it was doing that. I could run it at low speed on the way back to shore without noticable slipping. I noticed the temp running much hotter than the other motor. It crept up to the hot zone and we shut it down and came in on 1 engine.

I went out to the boat today to see if I could troubleshoot. It was the impeller causing the overheating as it was completely chewed up. I got all the rubber pieces out and replaced it. I Checked the oil, turned on my battery switches and fired it up. It did not get hot at all so I figured I would work on the propeller issue next until I noticed a milky look in the bilge. Pulled the dipstick and shook my head hoping the head gasket had not blown. The oil looked fine before I fired it up.

One thing I am wondering if possible:
I removed the impeller shaft after removing the plate and screws. Since I don't have a shutoff for the raw water intake I put the plate back on since water was gushing out. When I put that plate back on, would it be possible for water to run down the impeller shaft hole into the engine? (I did this while i installed the new impeller on the shaft and removed the old) If so perhaps this is the problem with the contaminated oil.

Not sure exactly what I will do. Weird scenario. Did not run it up hot unless the gauge was wacked out. But the oil was ok before I started it. Previous owner had replaced the head under warranty so perhaps it is related to that.

Appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Rick"

"Drain the milky oil, put a fr

"Drain the milky oil, put a fresh batch and give it another try (don't forget to change the filter). If you have a blown gasket, the new oil will turn milky soon. If not, then you know you had an accidental water ingress through the raw pump housing (which in my opinion is the most likely case).

The revving up and down could be due to the propeller hub slipping. To verify this, remove the prop and make a mark in the prop and another in the hub, then run the boat and inspect the prop again in a few hours (especially after noticing the same symptoms). If the marks have moved, you need to have your propeller re-hubbed (or replaced)."

HEllo El Pescador

I tried l

HEllo El Pescador

I tried like heck to get that oil pumped out. I need some type of turbo pump. I ruined 2 hand pumps trying to pump the oil out. Maybe extracted a total of 1 quart. I am worried of running the motor with water in the oil. I did let it idle for awhile shut it down then tried a brand new electric oil pump. Could not get a suction going through the tubes. I fantasized that I might be able to get under the oil pan. Not happening.

Any ideas?

Thank YOu

Rick

"Since you have a twin install

"Since you have a twin installation, I assume the area around your engines is tight, but you CAN many times drain the oil into the bilge and then pump it up from there. Will allow you to get more of the oil (or water...) out as well as any solid contaminents at the bottom of the oil pan.

If you have a reasonably clean bilge (with good paint or gelcoat) cleaning up some engine oil is a breeze compared to fighting with a pump and trying to drain via the dip-stick hole.

But, access governs the feasability. Only you can tell if it is possible..."

"Thank you guys for your help.

"Thank you guys for your help. Per-Ola Selander, I ended up using your method after trying several different pumps. Th problem I ha was having to use the smaller tube going down the dipstick. Did get suction going but we drained about 1 quart over an hours time. I am going to buy those hose kits. The drain plug was really hard to get to. Tight to get to. Took 16 quarts of oil to get the engine all flushed. Definetly won't be making this mistake ever again.

Now just working on the prop that was slipping. The boat is in the water. I tried everything to get the cone nut loose. REally hard laying upside down off the rear platform. Think I am going to be needing to take the boat out of the water. Maybe some heat will loosen it up."

"If you are getting water in y

"If you are getting water in your oil and you believe it is coming through your raw water pump,check the drain hole onthe pump housing under the shaft section is not blocked,ie,dirt,paint or both seals have been pushed together blocking the drain hole."

"there are 2 little spring sea

"there are 2 little spring seals inside the pump houseing... they must be repaced if you remove them houseing, if not it will bet water come in"

Back