Logo

1966 fairliner 327 crusadervelvet drive fuel in oil

M

melvin park

"this motor has been gone thru

"this motor has been gone thru,carb rebuilt,new manifolds,starter,alt,electronic dist,fuelpump ect.started the motor up ran for a few seconds died.started checking things out.pulled the oil dipstick smelled of fuel the level was half way up the stick.changed oil changed fuel pump.started the engine again died same thing changed oil again put a eletric fuel pump on the same thing happened,one thing for sure is i have a clean motor also good thing it didnt start back up.so were could the problem be.could i have a bad rebuild on my carb.what would a 1966 327 crusader motor sell for if i decide to partout the boat."

This doesn't sound right.

This doesn't sound right.
It can not be from the carb. There is not anyway for it to make it's way to the crankcase through the intake unless the intake has a leak and if the leak was that bad the engine would not even run.

There can only be one way for the fuel to enter in that large of an amount and that is from the fuel pump.
You could pour a gallon into the carb and it would not find it's way to the crankcase.

Did you try by passing the mechanical fuel pump with the electric pump or are you still running the fuel into the mechanical pump with the electric pump?
Try running the fuel line from the electric pump right to the carb if you have not tried this.
I find this hard to believe that you could receive two bad mechanical pumps but this is the only way for fuel to enter the crankcase.

Please don't get mad but I have to ask. Are you sure it is fuel and not water? SORRY! Just needed to ask you never know.

As for the value I would think a 327 marine engine is getting hard to find.
If someone was restoring an old Chris or other type of boat like that it may bring a good price.
Then again if you have luck like I do when selling things you could end up paying someone to haul it off.

I am restoring a 34ft 1966 fai

I am restoring a 34ft 1966 fairliner with twin crusader engines. Can't identify the engines. I was told they are 350ci not 327. anyway to tell?
the port engine mechanical fuel pump was replaced with elec. pump and the old mechanical was left in place. but it looks sloppy to me.

Check the back of the engine b

Check the back of the engine block just below the head but above the bell housing. There will be a series of numbers. These are the casting numbers. Go to Mortec's small block chevy casting numbers web site and it will list them and identify your engines

I have a similar problem with

I have a similar problem with my Crusader 220 (305ci). Did you ever find out how the fuel was getting into the crankcase?

Thanks
Steve

"I have a 1969 Algas with Crus

"I have a 1969 Algas with Crusader 210 engines. The serial number are in the 1985 year on this site (56382). Does anyone know how to find out the engine manufacter, C.I.D., year of engine etc. is?"

Casting numbers on the rear of

Casting numbers on the rear of the block above the bellhousing. Go to Mortec.com and scroll thru the numbers till you find yours.

It can get around the piston r

It can get around the piston rings. Several of the diesel PU truck builders had serious problems with fuel getting into the crankcase on diesels around 2001 and newer when the Bosh injectors were giving problems on the new common rail high pressure injection systems.

I have experienced several gas engines where the float valve in the carb caused a flooding out and it flowed to the crankcase.

Well now there three. I have

Well now there three. I have been getting gasoline in my starboard engine oil for a number of years. The oil level builds about one quart ever 30 to 50 hours. I just change the oil when it get about a quart over. The engine is a 454 CDI Crusader equipped with an electric fuel pump direcly to the Rochester 4 barrel carb. I conclude that it is the result of a seat leak in the carb that does not shut the gasoline off completely. When the engine is off I believe a small amount of fuel leaks into the cylinder and then washes past the rings into the oil pan. There is no other explanation I can derive. I rebuilt the carb and it stopped for a while then started again.

On this engine after sitting for several days there will be a slight sheen on the water after starting the engine cold. If passes quickly.

Maybe others can share their experiences.

Chuck:

I suggest you instal

Chuck:

I suggest you install a fuel pressure regulator before the carb--Holley makes a nice one. Adjust it to 4 psi and your problem will go away.

Jeff

"Jeff, thanks for the suggesti

"Jeff, thanks for the suggestion. I use two very small electric fuel pumps to feed these humongus 454 CID engines. I have an in-line pressure gage in the fuel line at the carb. The pressure runs 2.5 psi. I changed from the mechanical pumps because I experienced a diaphram failure that resulted in filling my starboard engine with gasoline. It is a wonder that the engine didn't catch fire."

"Was going to say the same Jef

"Was going to say the same Jeff.In fact for years I always set my Holley regulators between 5 and 6.Much after 6 is when the carbs frown at you, but 2.5 is really low.....Todd"

Back