Logo

Gray Marine V8188 Blows Oil

R

Rick Tobin

"Gray Marine V8-188 question.

"Gray Marine V8-188 question. 1. Manufacture date 11/1959. In a 1962 Lyman. Dual sidedraft Carbs. Engine runs great. PCV Valve new. If I jam the throttle up and take it over 3000 Rpm it will blow oil from the dip stick. Does not affect performance. But when this happens I do not push the engine, so the oil on the deck and in the bilge problem can be managed that way. I would like to resolve the problem for good. Any help appreciated."

"Rick, The only time I ever ra

"Rick, The only time I ever ran into the problem with oil blowing out of the dipstick was on a Ford 460 truck. The problem is that there is pressure building up in your crankcase or you have too much oil in the engine. The only way is breaths is through the valve cover area ie the pvc. Older(very old) engines used to have a breather pipe which was a direct pipe from the crancase to air The same route your dipstick takes. Try running with the pvc valve removed and see if the problem persists. You might have some return lines plugged. If this is the case you can remove the valve covers and run some type of flexable wire through the holes. If you don't mind getting a little smelly you can flush the engine with kerosene or diesel fuel to clean up the passages, drain the crank and install new filter and oil.I'm sure there are better ways to do this but being from the old school of shade tree mechs I know this works.
Good luck
Cal"

Back