Logo

Shift mechanism 1960 Sea Skiff 283 flywheel forward Paragon manual

alarik

"I am probably posting prematu

"I am probably posting prematurely, not having examined the problem more fully.

We (my partners and I) have just taken possession of a 1960 Sea Skiff. It has two 283s, flywheels forward, and--spectacular plumbing--Walters keel coolers.

Yesterday my friend was so uptight trying to back us into the slip that he bore down on the port gear shift lever too hard. It came loose. I took a quick look in the bilge.

This AM I did a quick search on the net, found this site and remarks by Cruzertoo (I hope you're still here!) indicating a lot of familiarity with these machines.

Here's my question. It looks as if the rod that comes down from the helm connects to lever on a half shaft of sorts that leads back to the manual (not hydraulic) Paragon transmission. That rod, descending from the helm, seems to have come loose from the lever. My quick glance--obviously I need to go study this--suggests that there is a key and keyway that fix the rod in place. Also I felt around and where the rod attaches there seems to be a bolt to tighten the rod's connection to the shaft.

Does any of ring a bell?

As I said, I need to check this out more carefully and then get back to you.

I confess: I'm feeling a little in over my head!

(Next point of discussion will be the port engine's running too hot, but that's a separate topic.)

I belong to the ACBS so I know that I can also track down other Sea Skiff owners and pick their brains.

But I thought I'd start here.

Many thanks!"

Back