Logo

What is a timing jumper

"Hi All,

I am the proud new

"Hi All,

I am the proud new owner of a 1993 yamaha stern drive with the 3 liter (181 CID) 130 horse in line 4 cylinder engine. I believe it is a general motors engine.

According to the owners manual, I need to use a "timing jumper" before I adjust the timing to 4degrees before top dead center.

I can not find any discussion about a timing jumper for this ignition system.

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me what I can use as a jumper (just a single strand of wire?) and what should I connect the jumper to.

Thanks"

"The jumper is used to put the

"The jumper is used to put the motor into a zero advance state, so you can time it. If not, the motor will be retarded since it tends to advance itself during some idling conditions (like a vacuum advance on cars does).

Jeff"

"That's cause you don'

"That's cause you don't speak Japanese, I guess. You HAVE to locate a manual for it and see what they tell you.

Jeff"

"Yipee!

I found and purchas

"Yipee!

I found and purchased a manual written by Yamaha for my 3.0L stern drive. It shows the timing jumper and how to use it.<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/mime_pdf.gif""" align=left alt=""application/pdf"">timing jumper
[url=""][b]timing jumper 4deg btdc.pdf[/b][/url] (46.8 k)</td></tr></table></center>"

Back