Logo

Alarm problem on 25 hp mercury

J

Jack Chapman

"I have a 2003 25 horse mercur

"I have a 2003 25 horse mercury ouboard, its on a 14 ft boston whaler, nothing to big for this engine. Just recently i heard an alarm go off when i turn the key and sometimes it stays on while its running. Everyone at my boat yard thinks it would just be an overheat sensor, so i pulled the boat out of the water and the intake vents and inside the lower unit were clogged with branacles, so i got rid of them. I put the boat back in the water, eventually the alarm wen away, but than it started again, also sometimes when im at full throttle the engine boggs out, it would go from full throttle and slow down alot and than back up to full real quick, any help with any of this is greatly appreciated"

"Sounds like a cooling system

"Sounds like a cooling system problem that has the engine going in and out of safe run mode.
Did you check the following,Water pump condition,water feed tube from pump to engine,condition of inside of the water jacket?

If you had a lot of branacles on the outside of the motor the inside could be blocked as well.

Sounds like the engine is getting hot,going into safe mode,cooling down and returning to normal run mode until it heats up again.

When the engine is in safe mode it will run at reduced power so the engine is not damaged but will get you back to port / dock whatever."

Back